Friday, November 21, 2008

Where Do You Read?

I've always loved to read since grammar school. I used to read at the beach when I used to go the beach to try and get a tan. Don't do that any more.



Nowadays, I read books on the commuter train to and from work, when I'm not writing. I read the Neighborhood Section of my newspaper while having breakfast. I read books or magazines at the doctor or dentist's office.



The best chance I have to read a good book is on vacation in the car on the way to our cottage, which is on a good day at least six hours away. Also, I love to sit in bed late at night on vacation and read, though my eyes are drooping and I can hardly keep them open.



Do read a lot? If so, where? What do you like to read?

6 comments:

Mark Troy said...

I keep at least three books going in various places in the house so I can read wherever I find myself. I do most of my pleasure reading is in the evening while my wife is watching TV. I also do a lot of reading during football and baseball games. Action in football and baseball is usually a few intense seconds sandwiched between long periods of inaction, so it's easy to get a lot of reading in. Basketball, volleyball and soccer are too continuous to allow any reading.

I often wish I lived in a place with good public transportation so I could read to and from work.

Ruth King said...

I read most often at home. Usually on the living room couch or in my bed. When the weather's nice, I'll read outside.

I used to read in the car as a kid, but now I get motion sickness if I try to read, so I usually have an audiobook ready to go on my iPod.

Morgan Mandel said...

I just thought of another place where I think mostly men read.

They usually take a newspaper or magazine with them, shut the door, stay for a bit and then come out again with their reading material.(G)

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I read anywhere I can. Have a book on the dining room table and another by the bed. Sometimes I carry the books around with me from here to there.

Dana Fredsti said...

I read while I walk (a highly developed skill I've developed over the years), be it on the beach or city streets. I read in the bathroom, on the Muni, on the way to the kitchen at work. I read when I should be writing. Better stop that now...

Earl Staggs said...

I confess I read more short stories than books, the reason being I only have short spurts of time here and there to read. I can finish a short story in one, maybe two sittings, but a book can easily take me two to three weeks. Most of my reading is done on the job. I'd better explain that. I drive a school bus part time and if I drive a field trip, there's a wait time before the return trip. Nothing else to do but read or take a nap. I usually do both.