Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Mystery of the Missing Socks by Morgan Mandel

It may not seem serious to you, but I've got this mystery going on in my house. It happens at least once or twice a week. When I do the wash, after I take the clothes out of the dryer, I always seem to be missing at least one sock, many times even more.

Where do those socks go? They don't seem to be sticking to the other clothes. They're not in the washer or dryer. They've completely vanished. Is someone stealing the socks and going around wearing mismatched socks of ours? Why not take both instead?

Seriously, I did read once about a person who had someone living in her house each day while she was at work. She had no idea that this was going on. Apparently, somehow she caught on, but I don't remember how. Maybe a light was turned on where it shouldn't be, food was missing, an appliance wasn't turned off.

Anyway, it sounds like the beginning of a great mystery plot. Do you know of any mysteries taken from real life experiences, either partially or completely? Please share.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

We have a whole nation called "the lost sock tribe" which live in a box in our bedroom. My wife hates doing socks so that trying to match up pairs is my job. I mean I can understand white socks which all look the same but pairs of patterned or pictured socks how can they go missing? Then I look into my children's bedrooms and know the answer.

Barry

Mark Troy said...

I think the Milt Kovik solution is the best. Milt is series character created by Susan Rogers Cooper. He bought only white athletic socks and black dress socks. If your socks are the same, it doesn't matter if you end up with odd numbers in your laundry. All Milt had to do was take a maximum of three socks out of his drawer and he had a pair. Milt also bought only white or blue oxford cloth shirts. For him, dressing was a snap.

Anonymous said...

Man, I saw the title of this post and HAD to come over. YES! IT HAS BEEN A MYSTERY ALL MY LIFE WHERE'N THE HELL DOES ONE SOCK ALWAYS DISAPPEAR TO AT EVERY WASHING OF THE LAUNDRY!

Not two socks, no. Just one. If two were lost of the same pair, wouldn't be so bad. With my memory I'd never miss 'em. But one. Gets lost. Leaving me with an odd sock.

I finally got smart. I only buy white socks and black socks now. And cheap socks at that. Lessens the frustration in my life.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Ah, the great sock monster strikes again. I agree that you need to buy a dozen pair of matching socks so that you don't have to match them up after the wash. I have a box filled with unmatched socks that I can't quite throw away because the sock monster might decide to give the mates back some day.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I've started buying socks from Costco--50 pairs all alike!

An everyday mystery at my house would be--why empty boxes of cereal are left in the pantry. Very perplexing!

Elizabeth
http://www.mysterywritingismurder.blogspot.com/

Art said...

My plumber told me that when socks go missing, it is not your washer or dryer, it is mice that take them. They will use them to add to their nest. He has found single socks as part of a nest many times when demolishing a wall to work a plumbing issue.

Morgan Mandel said...

Don't tell me we all have mice! Those sneaky little critters...

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Dana Fredsti said...

The Sock Mystery is an eternal one, or at least has existed since mankind discovered socks and invented the washer and dryer...