Monday, March 16, 2015

Another Book, Another Publisher

Writing novels keeps my brain active and my thoughts flowing. Publishing them has me learning something new every day. Last week I received an offer to publish my YA horror, The Devil’s Pawn. The publisher is Booktrope, one I’d heard of because some of my romance-writing friends are publishing with them. While I write mysteries, romantic suspense, and novels for kids, writing horror is a genre new for me. I don’t know how I came to this story, except that it filled my head, insistent that I write it from beginning to end. The Devil’s Pawn is a tale of good overcoming evil. Horrible events occur but there are heartwarming elements as well. The book ends on a positive note, as all my books do.

The story: Fifteen-year-old Simon Porte's life is ripped apart when an accident kills his parents and sister. His father's brother, whom he's never met, brings Simon to live with him and his wife in upstate New York. Simon doesn't trust Uncle Raymond, and for good reason. Raymond is evil, as are many members of their family. A bizarre-looking old woman, who turns out to be his Great-Aunt Lucinda, tells Simon his parents left town to avoid the family curse. Raymond is dying and determined to take over Simon's body. To this end, he hypnotizes Simon repeatedly until Simon learns how to thwart his efforts.  With Lucinda, his sister Lucy whom he finds living with a relative, and  his new friends--a pair of odd twins--Simon forges war against his uncle and his evil cronies.

Bringing out a new book to readers is always an adventure. I’ve had books published traditionally with big houses, others with small publishing houses, and I’ve self-published a few. My experience with Booktrope is something completely different. Each author has a team that works together to produce the finished product. So far I’ve contracted an editor and a copy editor. I’ve yet to engage a book manager, a projects manager, and a designer. I am eager to start my new adventure.

Please stop by and share your publishing experiences.


9 comments:

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi, Marilyn,

Congrats on the new YA. It does seem that teens love horror fiction. My paranormal YA romance THE DEVIL AND DANNA WEBSTER has had strong sales. I wish the same for you!

Palmaltas said...

This seems like something new for you--not only the genre but the publisher as well. I hope both will be a great success for you.

Miki Thornburg said...

Congratulations on the new book, Marilyn! How interesting that you were drawn into a story in a very different genre. So far my own writing has been almost exclusively fantasy, or maybe science-fantasy, and when I've felt a sort of pull toward other things – romance, mystery, even horror – I've been a little scared to change direction. But you make it sound exciting!

Marilyn Levinson said...

Mary,
Go ahead and write what you like. So many author friends write in different genres.

Marilyn Levinson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marilyn Levinson said...

Thanks, Jacqueline,
This book is different from anything else I've written.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Pat,
Thanks for your good wishes. I try to keep an open mind to new adventures.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

All the best with this new venture. Sounds great!

Jean Henry Mead said...

Congratulations on the new book and entering the YA genre, Marilyn. Wishing you much success!