Saturday, August 8, 2015

Hackers and Proofing

We’ve always known that internet connect computers and other devices can be hacked. In fact, they almost seem custom made for that.

I’ve recently learned that cars can be hacked. Well, why wouldn’t they be hackable? They contain computers that send and receive data, right?

And now—here’s a new opportunity for hackers! Houses. That’s right, you can make your house controllable, remote. How convenient! And how hackable.

We’ve worked long and hard to defend our home computers. We try our darndest not to get our portable devices hacked. Those are dangers we have to live with, if we use those things. But I’m scratching my head wondering why I should have to worry and my car and my house getting hacked! Well, I don’t really have to.

There are still a few cars around that don’t contain computers. That’s the kind I learned auto mechanics on. They’re mechanical and they make sense. And no one, absolutely no one can hack them. We might have to go to Cuba to get them, though.

I think the only way around the danger to my PC is to use one for writing that’s not on the internet. At least I can back up everything multiple places and hope they don’t all get hit at once. Or I could back to writing with pencil and paper and I could mail things to people. Perish the thought.

I hope and pray that I never fall for making my home hackable.



3 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

My email was recently hacked--caused me all kinds of grief. Changed password, didn't help. Changed email addy, think that worked, but what a pain. We live in a weird world.

Kaye George said...

You're right about that! We have to worry about things our grandparents never did--and I hope our grandchildren won't have to. I know, but I HOPE it.

Morgan Mandel said...

Computers are a blessing, but also a curse!