Tuesday, December 19, 2017

A Great Christmas Memory

This has nothing to do with mysteries, but I felt like sharing a Christmas memory in the spirit of the season.

Years ago I belonged to a sorority that mainly focused on fun, which was all right, but I had a sense that we ought to be doing some good too.

At that time I taught at a preschool for children with developmental disabilities. One day I heard one of the therapists tell about a family that wouldn't have any Christmas at all. The father was out of work and they had no money for gifts. I found out that there were three kids, learned the names and sizes, and was given their address.

When I told my sorority sisters about the family, they all wanted to help. Together, we purchased and wrapped gifts for the whole family including the parents. We bought a small Christmas tree and decorations for it, along with all the ingredients for a holiday meal.

Two of my fellow sorority sisters and I loaded my station wagon with everything and headed for the address, which was an upstairs apartment in a low-income housing project. We parked, and a young man working on a car asked if we needed some help. We told him what address we were looking for, and he said, "That's where I live."

I said, "Good, maybe you can give us a hand taking all this stuff upstairs."

He appeared puzzled, but agreed and we got everything into the apartment. Believe me, it was a lot.
His wife and the kids had bewildered looks on their faces.

We said, "Merry Christmas."

The man said, "Wait. Who did this come from?"

I said, "You have heard of Santa Claus, haven't you?" And we left, giggling all the way down the stairs."

I've never had so much fun. It was a great way to spread Christmas joy.

Anyone else have a great Christmas memory to share?

Marilyn

 Merry Christmas


No comments: