Monday, March 25, 2019

WHAT MAKES A GREAT WRITING CONFERENCE

What prompted this post is over the years I've attended many writing conferences ranging from great to mediocre. However, no matter, I always managed to learn something new at each of them. 

Plus for ten years I was the program chair for the Public Safety Writers Association's writing conference, so I do know what needs to be in a successful writing conference. 

# 1 is good presenters with interesting information for writers.  There also needs to be a variety of topics--something for the new writers, and something for the veteran writers.
Not too much down time so that the conference moves along and keeps everyone interested.

Recently I attended a writing conference that was a great disappointment. It was an all day conference with only two speakers. I won't go into detail about the speakers as what they had to say may have been of great interest to some of the people there. The biggest problem for me was the fact that there was huge amounts of time where nothing happened at all. Yes, you should have some time for networking, but over half of the conference time was unplanned.


For two great writing conferences, there's one coming soon, first Saturday in April is a one day writing workshop? http://www.sinccc.com/writers-in-actionperfecting-your-craf… It's in San Luis Obispo, California.
This is going to be an outstanding writing conference: There is something for the beginning writer as well as the most advanced: The keynote presentation will be given by Mara Purl--The Oyster and the Pearl, followed by Creating a Business Plan, Tight Writing, Getting the Details Right (Setting and Characters), Research, Collaboration and Editing. Only $50.



And of course, in July in Vegas is the Public Safety Writers Association;s writing conference which is particularly helpful to crime, mystery and thrilled writers. https://policewriter.com/

Marilyn

7 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

No matter how much we've learned, there's always more out there to know!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

That is exactly right! I'm looking forward to the conference in April!

LD Masterson said...

I really enjoyed the PSWA conferences I've attended. I wish they weren't so far away.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

We are staying in Vegas because it's easy to get there from most anywhere. Would love to see you again.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

The Central Coast's conference was wonderful! Learned lots!

Abbey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abbey said...

I'm so sorry for you. I'm imagining how you regret the time spent. I believe that the presentation should be informative and interesting. Otherwise, why waste someone else's time? I really value my time and don't even spend it on writing my academic works. For what? There are many services for this. I found Pro-Papers.com and very happy now!