Tuesday, June 25, 2019

My Signing at the Tehachapi Museum was Wonderful!

Truly, when my daughter, Lisa, and I began our drive up the highway into the mountains toward Tehachapi, I had no idea who the day would turn out. I brought lots of copies of Spirit World and some of the other books in the series.



Though Spirit World is set in Tehachapi, I wasn't sure if anyone in the area would be interested in a fictional mystery.

We arrived early and Lisa spotted a rummage sale and visited that. We located the library, then went to the most wonderful bakery for lunch.

We headed to the library and I wasn't optimistic because there wasn't many place to park. Inside we were greeted by the gracious woman who had invited me. She pointed out they had lemonade and cookies set up, and led me to a back room where a table, chair, and two benches were. I arranged my books, but really didn't expect to do much more than sit there for two hours.

The room we were in was filled with displays of the Kawiiasu Indians who are mentioned in my book. So I spent a few minutes perusing the baskets and photographs.

The famous Tehachapi Loop
Then the first person arrived a woman from the library who'd already bought the book for the library and read it. She purchased another for herself.

From then on, people began arriving at nice intervals, one at a time, or in pairs. Everyone sat down and visited with me, some giving a history of why they'd moved to Tehachapi, or something interesting about themselves, and they asked a lot of questions.

Everyone who came in bought a book, some two or more. The  museum purchased five.

It was a fun and rewarding day.

From this, my advice to authors is look for unusual places to have a signing, especially if no book stores are in your area. I've had a successful signing in a handmade chocolate store, and next up, I'm headed to a coffee shop.

Marilyn


4 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Glad you had such an enjoyable and productive book signing.

authorlindathorne said...

I would think most authors would be envious of you (in a happy-for-you-way) because so many of us get what we expect and mostly sit for 2 hours. What a nice treat to have everyone interested and buying. You'll probably get some reviews from this too. If your book is set in a small town, then having a selling/signing there is a great idea.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

It was so much better than I expected!. Thanks for commenting Morgan and Linda.

John Merfy said...

Glad to know that F. M. Meredith signed an amazing book. Now get the service of mobile screen repair Baltimore for more information.