Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Struggling a Bit

It is time for me to start a new Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery.

I have a title and an idea, including some of the new characters. So what's the hold-up? Too many other things keep coming up. I guess I could sum it up with one word, life.

I've slowed down considerably and not able to work as long as I once could. Because my husband and I are in the senior years, I like to spend more time with him, and my family.

We recently went on a three day vacation to Tehachapi where Spirit Wind is set mainly because daughter Lisa and I wanted to have our husbands experience all the things we did and saw when we went on the research trip for the book. Our eldest daughter and her husband joined us. Not only did we get to breakfast at the Keene Cafe (something I hadn't done before even though I put it in the book), we visited the Loop, did the self-guided tour of the wind machines, visited the fabulous bakery several times, went to Stallion Springs and had lunch, watched someone fly a glider, and as an added bonus, we all accepted the invitation to visit the home of one of the people who'd come to my book signing.

There we saw a collection of very old carriages, wild horses, Morgan horses, a fantastic house, a herd of elk, and were served a fantastic dinner and enjoyed a lively conversation.

My new friend and charming hostess, Karen Duvall.
Now, it's time to get down to the business of writing.

I'm also waiting to hear about the publication of the next Rocky Bluff P.D. mystery, titled Bones in the Attic. Once it is set, it'll be time to pounce on the promotion for it.

I do have some in-person events set up, starting with speaking to the San Joaquin chapter of Sisters in Crime, the first Saturday in September. My topic--"The Book That Almost Wasn't."

Now, it's up to me to put my fanny in the chair and write that first sentence.

Marilyn


2 comments:

authorlindathorne said...

Tehachapi sounds so interesting here, I'd love to go. Places like that are way too far for me now since I no longer live in California. If you want to use my blog for your upcoming Bones in the Attic book tour, just let me know when. About anytime is good for me.

Morgan Mandel said...

A break can be good thing to get you refreshed and remind you writing is not the only important thing in life.