Friday, December 20, 2019

Christmas Again Already????

by Linda Thorne

Why does it seem Christmas gets here quicker every single year? There were a whole lot of years when my step children were children. Those were the greatest Christmases of all and I remember them well. We lived in Denver then, so those were often white Christmases. The last white Christmas we had in Nashville was in 2010. Our children are grown with children of their own and all live in different states. This year it will be just me and my husband. Our two dogs (featured in the picture), brother and sister border collies didn't make it to Christmas 2018. We miss them so, and keep them in our memories of Christmases past or what writers call backstory.


Speaking of that, my second book in the series is close to completion, but not yet ready to turn over to my publisher. Right now my biggest struggle is backstory. The main plot is built around a 30-year-old cold case with my lead character, at the age of 20, being the intended victim. Someone else was murdered in her stead. I love the story line, but weaving in an inciting incident that happened 30 years earlier is not only difficult, but a science. A friend of mine read much of the book and gave me suggestions and then warned me to tread carefully in finding the right places to drop in the backstory. I'm so thankful she's willing to look at it again once I've struggled through this process.

Does anyone else find Christmas is here before you know it? Anyone want to talk about the problems with backstory?


Either way, hope each and every one of you have a wonderful, happy holiday event.


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

8 comments:

Saralyn said...

Merry Christmas to you, Linda. I totally agree with you about how fast the holiday rolls around. It seems just a few weeks ago we were celebrating. As for back story, treading lightly is a good way to put it. I read somewhere that we should start our stories at the latest possible moment to be effective, because back story is hard for readers to digest. I know, though, that you will meet the challenge with finesse and aplomb, because you are both talented and skilled. Having a good critical friend is a big help, too.

authorlindathorne said...

Thank you, Saralyn. Hope you have a wonderful holiday season. I need to make some huge New Years resolutions to get back to the challenges of my work in progress.

Unknown said...

I just finished watching a sweet Christmas movie, the kind you want to have tissues handy. You’re right about Christmas, Linda, I can’t believe it’s almost here. It seems to take forever when you're a kid. On the backstory, the editor may cut your backstory or make suggestions. Sometimes readers want more backstory, others like it trimmed to a minimum so it doesn't interfere with the story. It can be a tough call, how much backstory, what, and where to put it. But in the end, it's your story. It's craft and art. So wonderful to hear about your work. Congratulations on your upcoming second book! Wishing you the best Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! : )

authorlindathorne said...

Thank you, Jane Suen, I knew this was you since you said you had problems logging in. My sister tried and gave up. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas too. I've enjoyed reading your books. You do a great job.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Definitely the holidays came along quickly--faster and faster each year.
As for your back story just drop bits and pieces in, perhaps as your main character learns about them. I've done it that way, and my last book I made it chapter one, then chapter two was present day. (Spirit Wind.) It worked.

Morgan Mandel said...

The older I get, the faster the years fly by! This year, since Thanksgiving came later, Christmas is coming way too fast!

authorlindathorne said...

Thanks Marilyn and Morgan. Everyone seems to agree. Much faster this year with that short period between Thanksgiving & Christmas. Thanks for the backstory tip, Marilyn.

Happy Holidays to everyone. We start a whole new year soon.

Online Teer said...

Thanks for the useful article.
Satta King
Satta King