Monday, July 4, 2011

It's a Mystery to Me, but I'm Grateful to Them by Morgan Mandel

Long ago when I was young, we had a draft. Young men were called up by a lottery system to serve in the unpopular Vietnam War. Some with low numbers became draft dodgers and fled to Canada. Many who  served didn't return home.

With the abolishment of the draft and the inclusion of women in the armed forces, those physically fit have a choice of whether or not to serve. I understand it's a steady paycheck, but still it's a risky occupation.

It's a mystery to me why anyone would want to serve, putting his or her life on the line, being apart from family and friends, going through strenuous training, answering to strict bosses, putting up with uncomfortable conditions, sometimes not even knowing who's your friend or enemy.

It takes guts to sign up for the armed forces, especially in our present wartime conditions. I'm afraid I couldn't do it, even if I were younger.

My hats go off to our armed forces people for their love of country and courage. Though they've never met me or almost everyone else they're protecting, that doesn't stop them.

They are a special breed, and I'm eternally grateful to them.

Morgan Mandel
http://spunkyseniors.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...

Here, here (or hear, hear). I agree, Morgan. We owe those young men and women our lives. So many of them have given up their's so that we may remain "free."

J D Webb said...

Thanks, Morgan. As a vet, I appreciate your post. As a young man I thought I could conquer the world and probably gave little thought to the danger until I was in it. I don't regret any part of my short service time. I grew up when I joined.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

My hubby served 3 tours in Vietnam as a Seabee. Fortunately we lived in a town with the Seabee Base, an Air Force Base and Naval Air Station on nearby so we didn't see the hatefulness that went on toward service men at that time.

I'm so glad people now are grateful to our service men--it is so different than it was back then.

Marilyn