Monday, July 28, 2014

Gremlins?

This morning, when I turned on my computer, everything looked strangely huge. The icons were larger than normal, as well as the fonts. I right clicked on the desktop and saw the setting for the icons was small. What was going on?

About to panic and call Dell technical support, I decided to first do a restart. To my relief, everything returned to normal. Just in case a virus or adware had attacked, I ran Malware Bytes and the computer came out clean.

Apparently, somewhere along the line my mouse had stumbled into the wrong path and made the phenomenon happen. Not surprising, since that sort of thing bumbling happens quite often and I just click off what comes up and ignore it. Still, I was a bit concerned, wondering what had occurred. Had I hit some kind of shortcut key by mistake?

Since Google is my friend, I did a Google search. The solution was to right click on the mouse, choose resolution and make sure the resolution was at the highest setting. Well, I'd almost gotten it right by clicking the icons setting, but that would only have changed the icon appearance, not everything.

Somehow, going on my merry way, I'd changed the resolution setting and not paid attention. At least now I know what happened and how to fix it if it happens again.

What about you? Has anything strange happened with your computer, and how did you fix it?

Find all of Morgan Mandel's mysteries, thrillers,
and romances at her Amazon Author Page:

http://www.amazon.com/author/morganmandel

Excerpts from all of Morgan's books are at:
http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

Twitter: @MorganMandel

4 comments:

Marja said...

Most recently? The commands for my printer changed all on their own. The things I printed were coming out Landscape, and it was printing everything on Best. Oh, and it was set to card stock paper. I finally found where the settings were for the printer and returned everything to normal. I have no clue how the settings changed. Good ol' Malware Bytes. I'm glad you figured it out.
Marja McGraw

Morgan Mandel said...

Another case of gremlins, no doubt.

Kait said...

I am convinced that computers are all possessed. I want to whisper that though, just in case mine hears me and goes kerfluey. I'm still working out my latest quirk. I have three e-mail names, a personal one, a business one and my author name - for some reason, all my e-mails are funneling through my personal e-mail. I almost feel like it's feeling left out and wants to read it all first. It's a survivable problem, but I'd like to know how it happened.

The Stiletto Gang said...

Gremlins play with our computers and our manuscripts, happens all the time.