Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Promotion

There's been a lot of talk about promotion -- and it's key to keeping your name out there. But how do you find the readers? Are you just promoting to other writers, who are also promoting?

There are tons of social networks now -- MySpace, Facebook, GoodReads, Shelfari, Twitter and many blogs. How do I get readers to check me out on MY blog, MY page on the social networks? Do I buy ads in traditional magazines, on websites, put up banners on sites and networks? Do I attend conventions?

I think each author has to sit down and think about what areas work for him or her. Most publishers have a presence on the major social networks, have an area for their authors to run blogs, send books and promo to conventions, buy ads, etc.

In a recession, we all have to think about the dollars we allot to our promotion, but another very important resource is to allocate our time properly. Can you be on every social network, update your page(s), write blogs, design ads, banners and plan for a trip across country to a convention?

I think it's essential for authors to participate in blogs like Make Mine Mystery because we support one another, have a variety of blog topics that will bring readers to the site and maybe discover another writer than the one they dropped in to read!

I also think you must think about your budgets -- of money and time. You can't burn out either! If you spend all your money on ads, do you have the funds to go to the convention you really want to attend? If you spend all your time updating social network pages, when do you write?

READERS: How do you find writers? Do you go to social networks, troll thru blogosphers, read ads, attend conventions? Or do you have a different strategy?

AUTHORS: How do you find readers? Same as the readers find writers, or something different?

Let's connect and still have money to buy books, time to write books, and time to enjoy life!

4 comments:

Suko said...

You pose some excellent questions I will think more about. You're on the right track (or should I say write track) with your blog.

Morgan Mandel said...

I never know which one works best, so I try to do as much as I can and hope I hit the mark.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://www.morganmandel.com
http://twitter.com/morganmandel

Helen Ginger said...

As a reader, I think one way to find authors I might want to read is to join a listserv group in the genre I like to read. A listserv such as Sisters in Crime has writers, readers, librarians, bookstore owners -- all kinds of people who enjoy the same genre. You not only get to "meet" the authors who write what you read, you'll get recommendations of authors not on the listerv.

So, I would recommend readers find an online group with like-minded readers and writers.

Dana Fredsti said...

Can't disagree with anything you said! NOt that I WANT to disagree. :-)

I have found a lot of new readers via blogs and networking and others through library signings, et al.