Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Love Affair With Perry Mason

Since Perry Mason is a fictional character, I didn't really have a love affair with him. But I read plenty of Erle Stanley Gardner's books featuring Perry Mason and I never missed a Perry Mason TV show.

In fact, when I was in labor with my third child, despite my husband's urgings, I wouldn't leave for the hospital until the Perry Mason show was over. Pretty exciting since my pains were three minutes apart. Fortunately, we weren't too far from the hospital.

At the time we lived in Oxnard CA. I learned that at one time Perry Mason had his law office in Ventura and many of his mysteries were located in Oxnard.

I'm sure my fascination with Erle Stanley Gardner and Perry Mason had an influence on my own mystery writing. After I had several books published I wondered if anyone celebrated Erle Stanley Gardner in Ventura. I attended one such event and then it disappeared.

Soon after, I discovered that Temecula actually had an Erle Stanley Gardner mystery weekend. Gardner owned a ranch in Temecula where he continued writing mysteries with the help of four secretaries. Temecula's museum has many interesting artifacts concerning Gardner.

Of course I volunteered to give a writing presentation at the mystery weekend. I was accepted and have done so every year since. My next one will be on Novel Writing, this Saturday, November 7th 10 a.m. behind the museum in Old Town, behind the senior
center.

So my love affair with Perry Mason paid off for me.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a fictional mystery character?

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

4 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...

I wasn't aware of the Earle Stanley Gardner connection while living in Oxnard, Marilyn, although I, too, was a Perry Mason fan. I was aware that the frog jumping contest held annually in Calaveras County was still taking place in honor of Mark Twain. :-)

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

You lived in Oxnard? I'd be there still if my husband hadn't wanted to move. Still have one daughter there and one in Camarillo.

Morgan Mandel said...

When Perry Mason was popular, I never watched it, but afterwards I caught a few episodes and couldn't turn them off.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

We used to drive by Mr. Mason's parent's shop on our way to Grandma's house on Sundays. He was a big star in New Westminster, BC even before the world knew about him. Apparently, his work in community theatre was outstanding. And what a handsome man he was back then.