Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mixing It Up In Mysteries

Well, I could claim I was laying in the clues, red herrings, false paths and beefing up my villain, but truth be told, time got away from me. I was editing (pays the bills so I can write) and it seems like there’s always something interesting on the Olympics coverage, so there you go!

A while back I read a book and I don’t know if it’s a mystery or chick lit – maybe it’s a new genre – chick mystery? There is a mystery involved, although somewhat of a mystery of relationships and the acts they can precipitate, the emotions they can engage and the guilt that trickles down through the years. But it keeps me coming back to find out what happens, and that’s the goal of any writer for her or his reader. It is the mystery, the characters or the flow of the story that keeps me turning the pages?

What other cross-genres do we like to read in mystery – historical mystery, science, legal and sci/fi mysteries. What about paranormal mystery? And one of my favorites – romantic mystery, often known as romantic suspense!

What else can we come up with? What favorite authors?

Libby McKinmer
www.libbymckinmer.com
libby@libbymckinmer.com
Also at Twitter, MySpace & GoodReads

4 comments:

Ann Elle Altman said...

I like mixed genres and I especially like when characters involved in mysteries fall in love. That could also be why I like series.

ann

Libby McKinmer said...

Me, too!!!

Morgan Mandel said...

Romantic suspense is my favorite, but if it's a well-written book I'll fall for almost anything.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I need action and conflict, overcoming and growth in the books I read. I'm not one for romantic books per se. I did add a few such scenes including a sex scene in my book. I think most books at least need the element.