Thursday, September 30, 2010

Promo Ideas Anyone? by Christine Duncan

Fall seems to get me started in a creative way. I'm usually revved up to write, and promote in the cooler weather. I've been thinking about ways to get promoting and what seems to work--or not.

For one thing, lately I'm wondering who reads blogs. I'm thinking that the audience for this particular blog is writers, but how do you pick a particular writer's blog from the ton of writer's blogs out there. What attracts you?

And how is there word of mouth on blogs? I've read blogs on what blogs to read, but frankly I rarely agree with the writer.

I've thought about getting together a group of e-authors to volunteer at Barnes and Noble to demonstrate their e-reader, The Nook. It seems like a win-win situation for the store and the authors. I recently participated in a discussion on my publisher's e-group and found few authors here in Colorado who are published there. It could be a good place to jumpstart Fall promo.

And I have "traded" with other authors about asking for their books in my library. Sometimes if patrons suggest a book, the library is more apt to buy it.

A friend of mine has that in her signature line: "Ask your library to buy (Booktitle). It's hard to measure how any of these things turn out.

But I'm up for some innovative ideas about promo. Cheap is important. Easy is a must. Anyone have any new and super ideas for book marketing?


Christine Duncan is the author of the Kaye Berreano mystery series. Book two, Safe House is available now

1 comment:

Mark Troy said...

I'm trying to find book clubs. I'll drive to any book club that within a hundred miles and do a phone conversation with all the others.