Sunday, October 17, 2010

Character or Plot Driven Mysteries by Morgan Mandel

This question has to have been asked before, but I'm still curious of your opinions. Which do you prefer, character or plot driven mysteries?

My favorite are the character driven mysteries. I'm drawn to the hero or heroine first before I'm sucked in by the plots. Though I like to know how a plot will end, what keeps me reading is a character's thoughts and feelings about what's happening.

That goes for whether I'm reading a mystery or writing one. What about you?

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Lillie Ammann said...

I like character-driven mysteries (and all stories). I don't care about the action until I care about the characters first.

Lillie Ammann
A Writer's Words, An Editor's Eye

Terry Odell said...

Characters. Great characters can carry a weak plot, but weak characters don't make a great plot exciting. (Yes, there are a FEW exceptions, but I'm going with both my taste and everything I've ever picked up in a writing workshop)

I've re-read many a mystery because I love the characters, not because I care about how the crime was solved. I go back to series for the same reason.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Mark Troy said...

I think plot and character are two sides of the same coin. I read and write to learn about the characters and the plot is how I learn about them.

Michael Allan Mallory said...

I also think character and plot go together. Without one the other must work overtime to compensate. I want to care about the characters, want them to be interesting, but I also want interesting stuff to happen to them.

Patty said...

I'm drawn to the characters and read mostly series mysteries because I care about the characters and the cast supporting them. The mystery is fun, the plot needs to be good but if the plot is excellent and I don't like the characters I won't be back.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Characters are most important with plot a close second. Cardboard characters in a great plot usually fall flat. (Okay, a little play on words). :)