Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fall Reading by Christine Duncan

Something about summer days makes reading a guilty pleasure. As the daylight hours get shorter, I get drawn inside to read and sip hot cocoa as I huddle on the couch under an afghan.

I just finished reading Lisa Gardner's, The Neighbor. Sergeant DD Warren is investigating the disappearance of a young mother who left the house while her four year old was sleeping and her husband, a journalist, was off at work. I've liked Gardner's other books and was drawn into this one immediately. And I kept reading, fascinated even though Gardner switched viewpoints which is a technique that can turn me off. The book was a definite page turner and yet, I have to say, I was disappointed. It's difficult to tell without giving away the book. The best I can do is say that the ending seemed contrived. I almost felt as though I could see authorial wheels turning and deciding that the whole thing needed to be more complicated to be a best seller or perhaps even a made for TV movie.

The other mystery I've read lately is Mariah Stewart's Until Dark. Kendra Smith, a sketch artist who is frequently employed by the FBI, is called in to do a sketch of the soccer mom killer. Kendra thinks her job is over when the sketch is done, but it becomes obvious that the killer wants her to stay involved. The action wasn't too graphic for my tastes, the romance doesn't overwhelm the mystery and Kendra is a likeable heroine, so I found this book to be more satisfying.

So what are you reading now? Share, please. I could use some new authors to explore.

Christine Duncan is the author of the Kaye Berreano mystery series. Book two, Safe House is available now.

2 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean Henry Mead said...

Christine, I'll be sharing my review of Canadian novelist Vicki Delany's new book, NEGATIVE IMAGE, tomorrow, which will be out November 3.

I've been reading Lee Child's books, which I usually enjoy (except for some of the graphic violence), but ONE SHOT kind of turned me off because the first few pages were filled with description of the killer crawling over concrete so he could shoot innocent people leaving work. That really made me impatient for the story to move on. :)