Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Making Decisions About Your Writing Career

Sometimes I questions other people's decisions, and maybe they question mine.

Recently I heard of a newly published author who I don't even think has his book in hand who has made a decision I'd question.

He is going to be attending a writers' conference, is scheduled for a panel, but decided to leave early to attend a famous writers book signing so will miss the rest of the conference. He is truly excited about meeting this particular writer and has hopes to have a signing in the same bookstore.

Frankly, I think he's making a mistake. The famous author is on a book signing tour and will no doubt turn up somewhere else soon. Unless one is a famous author, bookstore signings are not the best venue for promotion.

The conference has many people attending who are promotion experts, frankly, I think he'd be better served to spend his time brainstorming with his fellow authors. But, of course, that's just my opinion.

I know the famous author who is a delightful person and will certainly exchange kind words with him. Not sure this will net him what he's hoping for.

Over the years I've had to make lots of decisions and I suspect some of them have been wrong. After no success with several agents, I opted to seek publishers on my own. I've signed contracts I might have been better served not to sign.

At the moment though, I'm happy with where I am. No, I'm not a famous author, but I do have two series being published by small publishers I like, I receive regular royalty checks, I do well at book and craft fairs, I'm asked to speak at writer's groups and conferences, and I've met a lot of wonderful writers along the way, both famous and not quite so famous. Best of all I've met readers who love my books.

I hope I continue to make good decisions.

Can you think of a decision you maybe shouldn't have made? Or one that really panned out the way you hoped?

4 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

In a way I regret not networking more with famous authors at conferences, but in a way I don't. I bond with the people I like, which doesn't always help my career at times when I need a book blurb, but I'm not the kind of person who cozies up to people to get something out of them.

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com
http://spunkyseniors.blogspot.com

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I haven't ever really bonded with a famous author, but I have met several and they seem to recognize me when I run into them.

And as for the author I mentioned, he changed his mind and I'm going to try and help him do what he hoped for.

Marilyn

said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
said...

If you'd dig readin' about a real mystery, visit my blog - July 3, 2011 post.