Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Experiences at Killer Nashville

I won't go into the programming part of Killer Nashville as Mark Troy (whom I was delighted to meet) covered that quite nicely.

Getting to Nashville was a chore. I probably wouldn't have gone at all except I'd already bought plane tickets to Omaha for hubby and me to attend Mayhem in the Midlands which was cancelled. Not wanting to lose the money I'd paid for the tickets (no refunds) I coughed up some more money to buy the new tickets.

We left home at 3:30 a.m. and headed for the Bakersfield airport. The teeny little plane left at 6:30 and we arrived in about an hour in Phoenix. (I won't repeat the times because they kept changing.) From Phoenix we flew to Charleston, North Carolina? How weird is that? It was a long, long flight. From there we flew to Nashville. Some of the changes involved nearly running with our suitcases to get to the next plane on time. (Not easy for two old folks.)

We were too late for the cheaper shuttle and had to take a taxi--not cheap. The hotel was luxurious--it had been renovated from an old social security building. The front was beautiful--the back looked what it had once been. The rooms were great though a bit confusing. Hubby loved the shower and the bed--me too. But there was an odd light that you pushed to let housekeeping know you wanted the room made up. We pushed that by mistake one night and had a phone call asking if that was what we really wanted. Several times when we were already in bed, the door bell chimed and a housekeeper had come to turn down the bed and give us chocolates and water.

The restaurant in the hotel was pricey but there were lots of good eating places a short walk away. We found a Chinese buffet, a great Italian restaurant and we ate twice at a nearby brewery.

Best of all at any of these mystery conventions are the people. It's rather like going to a high school reunion and seeing people you haven't seen for a long time and playing catch-up. I can't remember the names of everyone, but I was thrilled to have breakfast one day with Luisa Buehler whom I met at Love is Murder.
Mike Black was there (know him from PSWA) along with his darling girlfriend. I was happy to see Chester Campbell and his lovely wife. I met people who've been on my blog and felt like I already knew them.

We spent a lot of time with Radine and John Nehring. It may be the last time we'll be together in person as he won't fly and they live in Arkansas. After our wearing flights, we've decided we'll probably stay in California or close to it from now on. We always enjoy the Nehrings company.

I saw Mary Saums too, another Love is Murder attendee. I know there are more but they aren't coming to mind at the moment.

My Oak Tree Press publisher was there too, Billie Johnson, and we shared a couple of meals and spent a lot of time just schmoozing. I'm happy with both my publishers so didn't do any of the one-on-one sessions.

I did feel like those in charge don't really understand the impact of e-publishing on the book world. I saw so many people using electronic devices of one kind or another to read on the plane. Many more than the last time I flew.

I also felt that the moderators of some of the panels needed some training as how to be a moderator--keep control of the panel, be sure and introduce everyone (on one panel I felt like I was invisible or perhaps the moderator didn't think I was important enough to mention--though I managed to get my nickel's worth in on the subject discussed), that the moderator should make sure everyone gets equal time to share their expertise on whatever the subject is and not take up all the time themselves. These things happened on various panels though I went to others with great moderators.

Everyone complained about the heat outside (it was all of 80 degrees) but we thought it was great, having come from 100 degree weather. The meeting rooms were freezing--but I always expect that and know to bring clothes with long sleeves.

The only ones who had a signing table after a presentation were the big name authors. I think this really kept people from buying books from the other authors. They were trying to keep the smaller authors from feeling bad if not many came to their table--but I'll happily sign for one or two who've purchased my book. At least three people bought my books and sought me out for an autographs--but I think the old-fashioned way of doing signings might have resulted in more sales for everyone.

Running a conference is difficult. I do the program for the PSWA conference including the panels and it's not an easy task, this I know. Overall, it was a great conference. One I'd attend again if it weren't so far away.

Hubby and I had a great time and he loved the forensic panels.

Going home was easier than coming, more time between plane changes.

And that's my report on Killer Nashville.

P.S. I also got to see Randy Rawls!


Bears With Us is now available:
Deputy Tempe Crabtree has her hands full when bears turn up in and around Bear Creek, a young teen commits suicide and his parents’ actions are suspicious, a prominent woman files a complaint against Tempe and her preacher husband Hutch, a love affair from long ago comes to light, and a woman suffering from dementia disappears.

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

I believe I'll be at Love is Murder, 2012, since I don't want to break my streak of going to all of them, unless my finances hit rock bottom then. I haven't signed up for it yet, and will probably only come on Saturday.
I hope to see you there.

Morgan Mandel