Thursday, January 26, 2012

2 Good Mystery Reads by Christine Duncan

I get a little antsy in January. I never ever have enough time to read and somehow or another, I expect that to be different in the winter. And when it isn't...I get a little crabby. This month I discovered a new (to me) author though and it's helping. I just read Linda Castillo's Breaking Silence and loved it. The heroine, Kate Burkholder, was raised Amish but is not now living that way. She is the chief of police and is investigating the deaths of 3 members of an Amish family who died, in of all places, a manure pit. The book transported me into Kate's world and taught me about the Amish. It literally kept me riveted. Another trick I have to fit more reading into what feels like increasingly less time is to listen to audio books. My library lends playaway players which I love. With one AAA battery and my own headphones, I can listen to books while I cook, or clean or on the way to work. I just "read" Laura Lippman's The Girl in the Green Raincoat. As a long time follower of Lippman's Tess Monaghan series, I was thrilled to be able to sneak in a little time to catch up on Tess. In this novella, she is in the last part of her pregnancy, and stuck on bed rest by her doctor. Lippman manages to answer questions long time readers have had about Tess's relationship with her boyfriend, show Tess's transformation into motherhood and provide a pretty darn good mystery. What are you reading now? Share! I could use another book or two on the nightstand.

1 comment:

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm actually reading Bob Sanchez's Getting Lucky mystery novel. Great descriptions and characterization. I'm one-third through.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com