Thursday, March 1, 2012

Waiting for Publication

WAITING FOR PUBLICATION
By Randy Rawls

Okay, I sold the book. I sold the book a long time ago. I sold the book way back when I was filled with enthusiasm and ready to conquer the world. Now I wait . . . and wait . . . and wait . . . I know I should be working toward the release date, but I can hardly remember what the book is about. Guess I'd better return to those fun-filled pages and re-read them.

I'm sure that each of us faces that lag time between sell and publication in his/her own way. Me, I try to keep writing, hoping that the next book will do even better than the last. At the same time, though, I'm impatient, waiting for release. What should I be doing?

Over the years, I've read several posts by other authors about what to do during the looooooooooooong period between sell and publication—get postcards and bookmarks printed, develop a media package, line up publicity opportunities, etc. However, since I didn't take notes on how to do those things, let me throw it out to the community.

What do you do to get ready for Release Day? Share with me and with the others who read this blog. Give us your helpful pointers. I, for one, will be grateful.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention HOT ROCKS featuring Beth Bowman, South Florida PI, will be out in the Fall.

Randy Rawls

3 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

To get your mind off waiting and try to get ahead of the game, which of course never really happens, make sure your website and blogspots are up to date. Ask people of they'll review your book, if you haven't already asked them. Join some groups that have similar subject matter as your book. Get a blog book tour figured out.

That should keep you busy for a little while.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Steven J. Wangsness said...

Well, what I was GOING to do, before I put Tainted Souls up as an ebook on Kindle 'n Nook, was write another book while I meticulously planned my cheap, guerilla-style book tour! Now I just have the former to occupy me.

Randy Rawls said...

Thanks, Morgan. Good suggestions. Now, I just have to follow them.
Good luck with Tainted Souls, Steve. Hope it sells a gajillion.