Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hanging out with other Mystery Writers

This past Thursday night I gave a presentation to the library in Los Osos. This is a small community on the west coast in San Luis Obispo County and next to Morro Bay. (We live 3 hours away in the Central Valley but up in the foothills.) Any chance we can get we head over to the coast--it's way cooler and beautiful--plus we have lots of friends in the are, most mystery writers.

My presentation was on How to Write a Mystery. I talked about the different kinds of mysteries and what the ingredients were for a good mystery. I gave everyone a form to fill out so they could come up with what kind of mystery they wanted to write (cozy, puzzle, standard, police procedural, private eye, etc.), who the sleuth would be, the sidekick, setting including time period), the victim(s), motive, suspects, murder weapon.

While each person came up with their ingredients for their mystery, I gave them them some ideas.

Two young girls (around 9 or 10 came) and I let them know they didn't have to kill anyone but just come up with a good mystery, maybe a secret, or a mysterious house.

When the time was up, I asked for volunteers to read what they'd come up with. Every single person participated and the girls could hardly wait. Everyone had wonderful and such imaginative ideas, it was great fun for all of us. And yes, I did sell some books. Afterwards, we took Sue McGinty, who'd served as chauffeur, out to dinner and her choice of Mexican restaurant. (And it was a great choice.)

The next evening, the members of the Central Coast had a nice dinner for hubby and me hosted at Sue McGinty's home with members of the Central Coast Sisters in Crime, Victoria Heckman, Susan Howe, Karen Kavanaugh as well as her hubby. Oh, did we have a great time eating, catching up and talking about mysteries and all they entail.

I had to tell about this, because it was such a great social outing--something as a writer I don't have enough of. (I know, that's not a proper sentence, but it works.)

What about the rest of you, what kind of social events do you most enjoy?

Marilyn

5 comments:

Lorna Collins - said...

Hanging out with writers is always fun. I think that's one of the reasons we enjoy spending time together. And inspiring young would-be writers is a real kick. Glad it was a good trip.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thanks, Lorna, we really enjoyed ourselves--just like when we hang out with you and Larry!

Morgan Mandel said...

It's wonderful to be an inspiration for future writers!

Morgan Mandel
http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Yep, love working with kids--though the two who attended were unexpected.

Earl Staggs said...

Marilyn, my favorite people to hang out with are writers. I find more and more, I have little to talk about with normal, sane people who don't write.