Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A New Adventure

Well, I'm getting ready to embark on a new adventure -- trying to write a series. I've got the bare bones in my head and I'm almost...almost....brave enough to start. Of course, I must finish my work in progress first and get that to the publisher. So, technically, we're a ways away from metaphorically putting pen to paper, but the characters are wanting to get to know me. 

Since I'm a seat-of-the-pants, or pantser writer, I fear the series will be a challenge. So many more balls to juggle as the books move along. I think I'll end up creating a file for all the basics of the characters, the setting, the secondary characters, etc. Since my office is part of our family room, I can't exactly have Post-It notes everywhere! Well, I guess I technically can, but not a good look for when we have company for the evening. 

And strange as this sounds, I think I'll be more comfortable a couple of books into the series. By then, the main characters will really feel like friends, I'll know just how they'll react in various situations and how they speak.  Do those of you who've written series books feel that way, too?

And I'm sure some of the situations and secondary characters who show up will trigger new plots and new mysteries. At least I do hope so or it could be a short series! LOL  I just have to be sure not to kill off that supporting cast member before his or her mystery unfolds. 

I've always enjoyed reading series -- Sue Grafton springs to mind right away, but I don't think I have an alphabet's worth of stories for my characters. At least not yet!  What I've found interesting about the Kinsey Milhone stories is that the time doesn't pass particularly fast. Each book is not a different year. It could be a few days or a few months along. I tend to think of series as big and sprawling across years. Guess I'll learn how fast my characters bump into another mystery as we go, since I'm a pantser.

Who are some of your series favorites and why?


Libby McKinmer
Romance with an edge
www.libbymckinmer.com
libby@libbymckinmer.com
Also on Facebook, Twitter & Good Reads

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Good luck on your new series, Libby. I also am not an outliner, but like to find out what happens as I go along. Makes writing more exciting!

Morgan Mandel
http://acmeauthorslink.blogspot.com

Libby McKinmer said...

It really does -- I love the surprises my characters come up with for me...and my readers!

Libby