Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Big Family is Wonderful, but...

Truly, I wouldn't change a thing, I love my family, but we've had two weddings one right after the other. Beautiful weddings and the opportunity to be with lots of relatives--but I have to admit, all this traveling and celebrating has worn me out. And it has taken a toll on my writing.

I need to be busy with my Rocky Bluff P.D. crime novel--I have done some writing, I'm on Chapter 9 and I know where I'm going. Knowing where you're going is not enough though, I need to put my fanny in the chair and write, write, write.

We did have a great time though. First wedding was three days in what had once been an old growth redwood forest logging camp. New Sequoias had already grown tall, but nothing like the ones they'd cut down. What had once been a meadow was the site for the wedding. There was a lodge where we stayed and ate some meals and lots of cabins scattered around where the wedding party stayed.

Grandson Nathan and his bride, Amanda

This weekend we headed up to Montecito (where all the celebs live in Santa Barbara) to another grandson's wedding. This was held in a gorgeous backyard that was like a park.

Grandson Gregg and his bride, Caitlin

Grandson Gregg is a police officer in Aspen CO and he's the one who gave me the idea for Bears With Us telling about all the bear calls he goes on--and when he goes back on duty that will be part of what keeps him busy.

I have a couple of weeks home then we're headed to a cousin's 50th wedding anniversary. From there we'll go down to stay with eldest daughter for a few days because hubby hasn't seen her new digs yet. (Thanks goodness for daughter Lisa who is willing to drive us around when it's dark and the scary freeways of So. Cal.)

So until that next trip I will be busy writing.

Marilyn, who isn't complaining, I really had a great time at both weddings.



6 comments:

Marilyn Levinson said...

Marilyn,
Gorgeous photos of beautiful events. Congratulations. You're so lucky to have a large family that keeps you in the middle of life, even though at times it takes you away from your writing.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Yes, I am truly blessed and I know it.

Ricky Bush said...

What a familiar routine. Over the past year, I've moved both my daughters into new houses, baby sat a grand daughter two days a week, traveled to New Orleans to babysit the grandson during a wedding, and now will head to Dallas to babysit him once more. Like you, though, I am blessed.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Ricky, I wouldn't give up my family for anything, but I do like to squeeze a moment or two in to write.

Jean Henry Mead said...

All the family obligations certainly cut into writing time, but nothing's more important than family.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

You are right, Jean, family is more important than anything else.