Thursday, January 2, 2014

It's 2014?


It's 2014?

  Frankly, I find it hard to believe that it's 2014 already—and I'm still here to be a part of it. Heck, I was shocked to watch 2000 roll in.
  Yeah, fourteen years have passed since the Bicentennial Scam. Remember that one? Everyone's computer was going to blow up, and we'd all be living in caves. I wonder how much money changed hands as computers were "upgraded" to accept four digit years. I was still working for the government at the time, and I can attest to the size of some of the contracts that were let to "protect" us. Nuts, perfectly nuts. So nuts that I spent most of that New Year's Eve and New Year's morning sitting in a computer center waiting for the emergency calls to roll in. Do I need tell you there were NONE.
  Enough of looking back. Although I have 20-20 vision, there is so much "back," I can't see that far. What's up for the future?
    Less efficient government?  Of course.
    Higher taxes?  Of course.
    More sports channels on TV that I can't get without paying a lot more? Of course.
    Worse airline travel? Of course.
    Earl Staggs writing a bestselling short story? Of course.
    More violence in movies by those who decry violence in society? Of course.
    More poorly written books reaching the NY Times bestseller lists? Of course.
    Randy Rawls getting his entire backlist out as EBooks? I certainly hope so. I want to push all of them out there, then hope for the best. I mean, Ace Edwards deserves a second chance, right?
  In case you missed it, I just slipped in a clue about my GOAL(!) for 2014. The Ace Edwards series will find new life, along with Tom Jeffries and Beth Bowman. Plus, I'm putting out what I truly believe is the best thing I've ever written: DOWN BY THE RIVER. When it hits Amazon, I hope you'll at least look at a sample.
  And, aw what the heck (cliché alert), HAPPY NEW YEAR!

3 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

I do remember all the dire predictions about the year 2000, which seems ages ago now! So many computer alerts, and fears that things would not work!

Morgan Mandel

Jean Henry Mead said...

A belated Happy New Year, Randy. I agree with your predictions and hope for bestsellers for us all here at Make Mine Mystery. One thing you didn't mention is that milk is predicted to go as high as $7 a gallon this year along with equally high prices for other grocery items. Gasoline and other necessities will undouobtedly follow suit. My state is finally gettingg the lottery this spring and I'm sure there will be lines as long as those in Colorado to buy pot.

Unknown said...

Same happiness back to you, Jean. And yes, I hear the same dire predictions and shudder. However, one of the things we can be sure we'll hear, no matter how much prices skyrocket, is "There's no inflation, and the economy is getting better."