Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Conference Crazy

As you’re reading this, I’m probably at the day job, trying to tie up loose ends before I take off to San Antonio on Wednesday. I’m excited for my first (non-drive thru) trip to Texas.  I've already promised myself a trip to the Alamo as soon as I arrive.

The conference is the Romance Writers of America national convention.  I’ve gone twice before, but this will be my first time published, agented, and partied. J So I’ll actually have something to do on Thursday evening this year.


Why do I go to a conference that takes a big bite out of my book budget? Networking. Here’s where you have easy access to editors, agents, fellow writers. The relationships I've made over the internet strengthen with a face to face meeting.  And of course, writers are also readers. I’m doing two signings while I’m there, one to support literacy, and one for the free books given away at conference.


In addition to parties and free books, the conference has amazing workshops. I’ll be focusing on branding, building my career and character development this year. My brain will come home full and fried, not just from the Texas heat, but from all the things I’m going to learn.


Once I’m home, I have one more trip on my to do list for 2014. I’m heading to Indianapolis for Magna Cum Murder in October.

So if you’re out and about at either of the two conferences, grab my arm and maybe we can grab a drink together.  Coffee or beer, it doesn't matter. I’m just happy to be climbing out of my writers cave for a few days.

Do you attend conferences? What do you love most about them?

Lynn

10 days until the release of MISSION TO MURDER - pre-order here


In the California coastal town of South Cove, history is one of its many tourist attractions—until it becomes deadly…

Jill Gardner, proprietor of Coffee, Books, and More, has discovered that the old stone wall on her property might be a centuries-old mission worthy of being declared a landmark. But Craig Morgan, the obnoxious owner of South Cove’s most popular tourist spot, The Castle, makes it his business to contest her claim. When Morgan is found murdered at The Castle shortly after a heated argument with Jill, even her detective boyfriend has to ask her for an alibi. Jill decides she must find the real murderer to clear her name. But when the killer comes for her, she’ll need to jump from historic preservation to self-preservation …


4 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I love conferences (also love San Antonio). This year I went to Left Coast Crime (Monterey CA) and PSWA (Las Vegas).

Cathy Shouse said...

Lynne:

I'm so happy for you, getting to go to the RWA national convention. I'm a member of RWA but won't be going because I'm on the committee for a writing conference in Muncie, Indiana called Midwest Writers Workshop. There is always a mystery track, and we'd love for you to join us sometime. Two years ago, Julie Hyzy was on faculty. I love her White House chef mysteries. I'm from Indiana and the conference you're going to is called "Magna," just to clarify.
Happy conferencing. Best of luck with your book sales!

Lynn Cahoon said...

Marilyn, I'd love to go to Left Coast Crime someday since I'm a left coast girl in heart. :)

Lynn Cahoon said...

Hi Cathy! Midwest Writers? That sounds fun. Shoot me an email and I'll see if it fits into my schedule.

Lynn