Friday, March 13, 2015

Murder at the Mansion


My sixth Logan and Cafferty mystery/suspense novel was released this week in ebook form, with a print edition scheduled in a few days. 

My protagonists have become old friends that I enjoy tuning into each day to listen in on their conversations, no matter how scatterbrained they happen to be. 

I don't outline, unless it's a nonfiction book I'm writing, and I give my characters free rein, so they take me on some wild adventures. Murder at the Mansion is my wildest novel to date, with Dana and Sarah, my senior amateur sleuths, running for their lives from Wyoming to Texas, Alaska, Colorado, and back again. 

Writing a series can get boring--hopefully not for my readers--but the more I get to know my characters, the more I trust that they won't paint me into a corner or lead me on an adventure that I can't get them out of. This time some of the people they helped to place in prison return to get revenge, and Sarah decides to get out of a hasty marriage that she soon regrets. None of these things occurred to me when I sat down to write, so I blame the devious minds of my two protagonists, whom I dearly love. 

Mix in mystery, humor, romance, murder, a quirky character or two, and you have the Logan and Cafferty series, which I hope to continue writing for quite some time.


5 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Sounds fascinating!

Jean Henry Mead said...

Thanks, Marilyn.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi,

I have to say I do need to do a rough outline. Otherwise my novels don't seem to work. Congrats on the new work.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Marilyn, Jean, & Jacquie,
Thanks for stopping by.
Jacquie, I always write from an outline, but the outline changes as I go along.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Thanks for your commenets, Jacqueline and Marilyn.