Tuesday, June 21, 2016

More on Titles by Marilyn Meredith

Thought I'd piggy-back on Linda Thorne's post about titles.

When I first started my Deputy Tempe Crabtree mysteries, I thought I'd keep the titles to 2 words: Deadly Trail, Deadly Omen,Unequally Yoked, then I went to one word, Intervention, followed by Wingbeat.

I began to realize that it was more important to use a title that somehow fit the books. Sometimes I know what the title will be before I begin. At others, I don't have a clue until I'm all done.

Because the Tempe books often center on or have some native legend or mystique in them, I've used part of a quote from an American Indian for a title. That's where I got the title for the next on due out in August--Seldom Traveled.

A couple of books I've had to ask my critique group for suggestions for titles, and received just the perfect one.

Someone gave me the title, Murder in the Worst Degree. I thought it was great, wrote the next book in the Rocky Bluff series planning to use the title, but it wasn't until the last two chapters did I realize how it fit the story.

My latest in that series, A Crushing Death was easy because it is the way someone dies. And the idea for the murder came from a fellow mystery writer.

The book I'm working on now, I have no clue about what the title should be--yet.

Marilyn

5 comments:

authorlindathorne said...

I think writing titles is fun, and easy, but then comparing my situation to yours is like comparing apples to oranges. I had a great time creating the title to my first book and also the title to my second book (a work-in-progress). In your case though, you haven't needed to give titles to a measly few but to a multitude of books, and you're still putting them out regularly. I think you've done a good job with all your book titles, but I can certainly understand if you don't always find it as easy as I have.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Sometimes it's easy and sometimes not.

Jean Henry Mead said...

Titles are so important and I found that I gave my earlier novels titles that were too serious for books with humor. Your titles always seem to fit well, like a hand in a glove, Marilyn.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Ah, Jean, thank you!

Unknown said...

An amazing app which would take you through some simple magic tricks or mystery and reveal some magic that you could perform by yourself and amaze everyone. Don't you want to be a hero among everyone you know? Then this could help you achieve that.