Tuesday, February 7, 2017

INTERFERENCE TO MY WRITING--GOOD AND BAD by Marilyn Meredith

The worst first--Facebook has been a tremendous interference lately. I am really trying to avoid it as much as I can. I made the mistake of posting my opinions and was called names. And I got sick of reading posts from people I admired that were full of guttural and potty language. (Yes, the biggest offenders were writers.)  I ended up unfriending some, I don't need that icky stuff in my mind.

The good is we had another great-grand born into our family--makes 18 all together. And did you get that I said great-grand? Yes, my grandchildren are having babies--and one of my great-grands had one, and another great is going to be a father soon.

We have two great grands living with us, darling girls. Believe me, they do liven up our lives. Took time out the other day to play three games of UNO with the four year old. she's really good at it. (But I won all 3 games--a miracle, because she almost always wins. Probably beginner's luck)

Hubby is beginning to show his age (me too, for that matter, I've slowed down considerably) and when he goes to the doctor's I need to go too because he doesn't always get or remember what he's been told.

Because of my BIG family, I want to do things with them. After all, not too many kids have their grandma and great-grandma still around. I need to enjoy them all while I can.

And then there's the in-person promoting--that is necessary, fun, but takes time away from the writing.

I also volunteered to help reorganize a local writing group--which also will take some time away form my writing.

There are so many other things that I do, some writing related, some family related that take time away from what actual writing.

Oh, and there's the biggie--doing my income tax. Will start that soon too, once I'm sure I've gotten all the forms.

Okay, I've belly-ached enough, time to get back to work.

How many of you feel the same? Seems like I don't have near the time I used too.

Marilyn


One of the latest good distractions--Daniel Adam.


7 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

What an adorable baby!

I know what you mean about Facebook. I've unfriended many people, because they were so nasty. Also, I decided I didn't need the stress of reading hate-filled nonsense. Such people are consumed by hate and there are so many of them lately.

Anyway, almost every person I unfriended wasn't someone who bothered to ever make comments on my page anyway, so no great loss.

Enjoy your new addition, and enjoy the true friends you have on Facebook!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thank you, Mandel. It is so frustrating when someone decides to argue with another person nastily on my post. I keep getting rid of the worst of the worst. Live is too short for negativity!

Amy M. Bennett said...

Lately my writing time has been eaten up with adjusting to having my 90-year-old mother come to live with us. We have been juggling work schedules and taking extra time to plan meals and arrange things for Mom's convenience (like putting certain refrigerator items on the top shelf--and remembering to keep them there--because she can't bend over) and of course, adjusting to the routine of having another person in the house who isn't accustomed to our routines. I'm sure it will all even out eventually, but I'm eager to get back to writing!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Oh for pity's sake, I don't know why I called you Mandel instead of Morgan. Oh well. And Amy, I understand what you're going through, I've had my mom live with me, various grandkids, and now my granddaughter and her family. It will work out.

Anonymous said...

First, congratulations on the great-grand. He looks like a real sweetie. Second, I absolutely agree about Facebook. I've been avoiding it partly because of the language (some of it from family members who are then cheeky about it) but also because of all the destructive anti-Trump stuff people keep promoting. They need to get on with life — posting stuff like that does nothing to change it. Hope your writing comes along the way you want. Cheers!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thank you, Ms. M. So nice to hear from you.

Radine Trees Nehring said...

Marilyn, I have heard you say you had to keep writing because you wanted to know what your characters are doing! I understand that and have thought it was great you were continuing both your series. However, this blog makes me wonder--seems to me family is more important than a writing career--it is in my case. And, since the situation with our publisher (F. M. Meredith's) is currently so difficult, that makes "a next novel" fade into the background. After working a year with a paid publicist on behalf of my latest novel, plus my own additional promo work and some from our publisher early on, I have had no report of sales for my books, no royalty report, and, of course no payments. Last report was probably two years ago. Of course I miss writing about my book people, but, currently, real people and events are more important to both myself and my husband, and we are re-connecting with nieces and a cousin we have barely had time for in the past. Sent with love to you and Hap, Radine