Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Importance of Having a Life Beyond Writing

The first Tuesday of August snuck up on me, so quickly I'm going to write about what came to mind.

Though being a writer can take over your life what with all the plotting, writing, getting published and the promotion that must follow, it also important that you take time for yourself.

The most important reason is to keep you refreshed. You should do things on a regular basis that you enjoy. For me, it's spending time with family and friends, taking in a movie in a theater now and then, going on short vacations, and reading. It really doesn't matter what you do, just that whatever it is is something you like.

Another big reason to have a life beyond writing, is to experience new things, to meet new people, all of this can bring a freshness to your writing. Being with others and listening to their stories can give you ideas for new plots.

This happened to me while out to breakfast with friends, weekly occurrence.. The husband and wife have had various jobs and have told us about many of their experiences along the way. One of these tales gave me the idea for my coming Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery, A Cold Murder.

Once I began writing the story, at the next breakfast and a couple more, I asked lots of questions. No, the story is not exactly what they told me about, no one was murdered, but they related enough interesting facts and details to help move the fictional story along.

A Cold Murder will make it's appearance sometime this month.

What do you enjoy doing that refreshes your body and mind?

Marilyn




One of my favorite places to visit--Morro Bay--and it gave me lots of ideas for another Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery, Not as it Seems.

3 comments:

authorlindathorne said...

I walk all over our neighborhood at a pace close to jogging and then come back and do a set of exercises inside my house. I like to watch Blue Bloods on TV, even the reruns, and I enjoy reading. My husband and I go out to dinner on occasion and that's always a fun time for both of us. I wish we could take more trips, but it's not easy for him to get around.

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm constantly amazed by how much you accomplish, and yet you have time to do so many other things!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Love Blue Bloods--and their family dinners.
My husband can't get around easily either--that's why my daughter ends up taking me places.