Wednesday, March 20, 2019

I'm Ready for My Close-Up...


by Janis Patterson

In journalism school I was taught to lead off an article with the big news first, so the readers could get everything necessary in the first paragraph. Just the opposite of a novel, but okay, here goes.

I'm getting my own YouTube channel.

All right, you can stop applauding now. This wasn't my idea. After reading and liking several of my books, a friend asked why I didn't have my own YouTube channel. Now y'all know I am a complete techno-naif who can barely answer email, but at least I did know what a YouTube channel is.

Anyway, I said I'd never thought of it, to which she replied she thought my books were so good I should have one. Before I could say I'd think about it she said she had a sideline of doing them for fine artists - I knew she was a great painter, but had no idea about the channels - and she'd do mine.

Now over the last years I've indulged in an occasional bit of voice work, but it has been years (decades?) since I've done any on-camera work. It's true - once I quit shaking I discovered it really is sort of like riding a bicycle - once you've learned, you can always do it. At least, sort of.

So, not too long ago The Husband and I trotted up to her studio, bearing costumes and books, and we taped. I sat in her library, seated in a lovely old chair (so no one could see my knees knock), and talked. That I can do. We have a good idea of content; there will be just one book a show. I read an excerpt and tell a little bit about the book - why I wrote it, or maybe a funny story about writing it, or something interesting about it. Then I give a writing tip. Simple, right? Right. Even if your knees are knocking.

Actually, the whole thing is so easy for me I'm almost embarrassed. My friend is the one who does the work - shooting, balancing the sound, editing, creating the titles for the show.

So now I know you're absolutely panting to know when you can see this magnificent opus. Well, today was supposed to be the roll-out date, as we've decided to release a new show on the Third Wednesday of every month, but thanks to Circumstances Beyond Our Control (wouldn't you know!) the roll-out is probably going to be the first part of next week. Sigh.

Anyway, the name of my channel is Janis' Tips and Tales and I would appreciate it very much if you would check it out the first part of next week, and maybe subscribe to the channel. If nothing else, you can laugh at my return to the front of the camera.

9 comments:

Jackie Houchin said...

I"M impressed.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Wow what a great idea!
Good luck and God's blessings with it
PamT

Earl Staggs said...

These things seem to be working well for James Patterson, and you're much easier on the eyes than he is. (Are you sure you're not related?)

Susan said...

Thank you for the compliment, Earl... it has brightened a dreary morning for me! As for being related to James Patterson, remember that Patterson is my married name. Even though I have been known to call him 'Cousin Jamie...' He's coming to Bouchercon later this year - are you planning on coming?

Sandy Cody said...

Great undertaking. I'd wish you good luck with it, but I think you have something better than luck - a plan? Kudos!

Earl Staggs said...

Susan, I plan to be at Bouchercon and look forward to hanging with you. I hope you'll introduce me to Cousin Jamie. I promise to be nice.

Susan Oleksiw said...

You're fortunate in your friends, and in your ability to carry out new ideas. Good luck with the new show(s).

Morgan Mandel said...

Make sure to mention it on Facebook and other places then so we don't forget to tune in then!

Anyway, the good thing is even if we forget once or twice, we can still binge watch later. lol

Carole Price said...

How fortunate for you. I'm impressed.