Thursday, June 11, 2009

Why Do You Return to a Blog? by Christine Duncan

Since I've been on this virtual tour, I feel as though I have become an expert of sorts about blogs. I have learned quite a bit about blogging and promoting. So when I saw a discussion question on Crimespace this week asking people why they return to blogs I thought I would be able to nail the answers.
It's never quite that simple though, is it? The answers on Crimespace ranged from people who can't be bothered to read blogs to those who said they read to find a new mystery to read. Hmm, so I guess I can only answer for myself.
I return to blogs that give me useful information. For instance, this week, I was reading my publisher's list and found a link to Amber Polo's blog. The theme of the post? Want a booksigning at your library? I read it, the info was great and I will be back.
I return to blogs that are interesting and funny and maybe about mystery but maybe not. Like the Femme Fatales
Now I did start to read Donna Andrew's books because of that blog, but not because anyone was there saying read my book. She was interesting and sometimes funny--but mainly very real, and I enjoyed reading her stuff so I looked for the books.
I return to blogs to see what others are doing which is, in a way, why I like Crimespace. It's the back and forth of the community that makes it interesting. The blog I like for that is Miss Snark's first victim She runs a periodic contest for people hoping to get an agent. Blog readers get to submit a portion of their manuscript. Everyone who subs also critiques and everyone's stuff is seen by an (anonymous) agent. At the end, the agent is revealed and the winner is invited to submit to the agent. I like the feedback although I have only submitted my stuff once. I learn from other people's work too.
That's me though. I like blogs. Now as for chats--I'm doing one at Writer's Chatroom on Sunday at 7:00--maybe I'll get a handle on why people do those then. And maybe I'll ask them why they read blogs.
So why do you return to blogs? Tell me! I really want to know.

Christine Duncan is the author of the Kaye Berreano mystery series.

2 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My main reasons are for great information and because I feel a bond with the blogger and like what they have to say!

L. Diane Wolfe
www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
www.spunkonastick.net
www.thecircleoffriends.net

Dana Fredsti said...

First and foremost, I go back to a blog if it makes me smile or laugh. Writing style is important to me. Good info is as well, but I love reading a well-written and humorous post. I just wish I had more time to visit all the blogs I've grown to love on a regular basis. It's hit and miss these days...