Monday, April 19, 2010

Spring Fling Conference next weekend by Morgan Mandel


The Spring Fling Conference is only days from now. My thriller, Forever Young, is not yet completed, although I've made good headway. I'm afraid I've spent too much time promoting Killer Career and not enough on writing. I've made this mistake before, but never learn. (g)

If I stayed up night and day until Friday, it still wouldn't be ready. I may have made it on time, but I've changed the entire structure of the novel. I'm saving some of my characters for a spinoff, because there were just too many to keep track of without confusing readers. I believe my novel will be stronger and tighter, but wish I would have originally decided to write it this way.

So, I'll still meet with the agent, tell her what the story is about, see if I like her and she likes me, then go from there.  That way we can both relax after that and talk about whatever we feel like. - Like maybe my children's book about my dog, Rascal. That can be ready for her very soon if she doesn't want illustrations. I'd like to figure out Photoshop CS4, but it will take me a while.

So, here I am with two books not finished. Maybe she'll want to see partials and that's a step in the right direction.

What about you? Do you have any manuscripts ready for submission, or are you still working on your WIP?

Have you ended up emptyhanded at a conference when you thought you'd be ready?

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com/
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel

2 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I no longer bother with agents--getting too old and two many books done. I really try to balance the promoting and the writing. Starting a new Rocky Bluff P.D. and I'm pretty sure I know where and how I'm going with it.

Marilyn
http://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com

Dana Fredsti said...

I'm WIP gal right now, Morgan! As far as conferences, I"ve only been to one and thankfully had a finished and published book to flog!