Friday, October 14, 2011

Reading through the Year by Christine Duncan

I started reading holiday mysteries to my children when they were young. It helped little kids manage their anticipation about the upcoming holidays.
And then, when they were too old to read picture books anymore, I still searched the library index for holiday books. It helps I learned, to really take the time to appreciate the season. Otherwise, things seem to speed along just a little too fast without me taking the time to really think about what is going on.
And the books I've read along the way have been a lot of fun. I've discovered series books, like Joyce and Jim Lavene's Renaissance Faire series which just happens to have one book with a Halloween theme (Ghastly Glass) and I've found authors like Leslie Meier who writes all of her books around holiday themes throughout the year.
This year I've just started the search. Somehow, my head was stuck in Labor day and I have just realized that we are in the second week of October. But then, that's what reading a holiday mystery is good for. It gets me grounded in the season.
Anybody out there with a recommendation for a good Halloween mystery?

3 comments:

Jean Henry Mead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean Henry Mead said...

Jean Henry Mead said...
I agree, Christine. My new juvenile mystery, Ghost of Crimson Dawn, has a cover that certainly looks like a Halloween scene although it takes place around the summer solstice.

xlpharmacy said...

I really enjoy reading the post, thanks for sharing I really like it, I already bookmarked it, thank you guys.