Monday, September 10, 2012

I Want to Know, I Don't Want to Know by Morgan Mandel

I want to know, but I don't want to know. I hear all kinds of rumors about the latest gadgets, such as the new iPhone, which will probably be called the iPhone 5, and the latest iPad. How much will they cost? Can I afford them? What features will they have? I'm dying to know all the details about available memory and new features, etc.

I want all that information now. Then again, I don't. There's something fun about being kept in suspense. The longer the suspense, the more the curiosity grows.

The same can be said for a good book, be it a mystery or other genre. I and other readers are dying to know the answers to burning questions, but once learned, the book is for all intents and purposes over.

The lesson to be learned is not to give away the store. When writing a novel of whatever type, only explain what needs to be explained, and nothing more. Instead, throw in hints in strategic spots to build suspense. Get the readers agitated and wanting to know the answers, but string them along as far into the book as possible. Then, spill the beans as near to the end as you can.

Morgan Mandel -  For Fast Paced, Poignant Mysteries and Romances
Latest Release: Her Handyman
See all of Morgan's books at http://morgansbooklinks.blogspot.com

6 comments:

John Klawitter said...

Morgan - That is very good advice. I have written two murder mysteries, FOUL (2008) and THE FREIGHT TRAIN OF LOVE (2011). If you will review FTOL and post it on Amazon, I will review HER HANDYMAN. I have not done this before, but am told I need to do this because Amazon will treat me better if my book has four splendid reviews.

John Klawitter said...

Oh, I forgot. Should you agree, how best to send you a copy?
j.

Vonnie said...

I agree, Morgan. It's not just reviews that give the game away; often the authors' blurbs do too. No need to read the book then.

I have downloaded HH and will do a review on Amazon. Have done quite a few over the past couple of years. Ain't no expert, but I try.

Lynn Cahoon said...

Morgan, great advice. I'm always afraid I'm telling too much. Then I get called on not saying enough. LOL

Morgan Mandel said...

Thanks Vonnie for ordering Her Handyman.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Warren Bull said...

I've seen cover art and publishers' comments that give away the secrets too.