Thursday, December 21, 2017

Local Sisters in Crime Author Panel at Words of Wisdom Bookstore and 2017 Nearing Its End

by Linda Thorne



From left to right: Peggy O'Neal Peden, Jaden Terrell, me, Lisa Wysocky, and Tom Wood


Earlier this month I was honored to be part of a panel of local Sisters in Crime authors at Words of Wisdom (WOW) bookstore in Hermitage, Tennessee. It was an especially cold December evening with shops lit up with Christmas lights and decorations for the Holiday. The owners live-streamed the event on their Facebook page while we talked to the audience. I sold every book I had in the store.

My local Sisters (& Misters) in Crime chapter has been celebrating the national organization's 30th anniversary for most of 2017. Robert (Bob) Mangeot is our president and he introduced us and discussed the advantages of belonging to Sisters in Crime. Since I started with the local Nashville area chapter in early 2008, we've had two male presidents. Although the organization started out thirty years ago with female members, that changed quickly. The organization has a large number of misters in crime nationwide. The monthly meetings at most local chapters offer a variety of events; guest speakers like gun experts, detectives, other authors. At our Middle Tennessee chapter of Sisters in Crime, we have an occasional meeting where our local expert reviewer, Lynette Ingram, will review and analyze a book we've all read. There are lots of field trips too.

I don't know about the rest of you, but as the year draws to an end I look back on the biggest events of my year. In April my human resources job of nine years was suddenly eliminated by new owners in a restructuring. I had mixed emotions on returning to work because I'd wanted to spend more time on writing and writing events. I ended up returning to my career in human resources at another job four months after the layoff. For me, this just felt right.

What will you remember the most from 2017? 

2 comments:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

For me, firs off the most memorable is the fact that great-great grandbaby #2 arrived. As for writing, I took my rights back for many of my books and thanks to my good friend, Lorna Collins, they are now re-edited and repubbed.

authorlindathorne said...

An eventful year for you, Marilyn. Let's hope 2018 brings more good things.