Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Making a difference through Blogging


Make Mine Mystery
 




Linda Lee Kane
February 5, 2020

Not long ago, I took a class about blogging from Nina Amir. I also bought many of her book and I’ve learned so much from her about so many things in writing, as well as blogging. 

About two years after taking her class and following her plan I jumped right in and wrote about women who’ve made a difference in our society throughout the ages and many that you’ve never heard about. I got the idea after writing my YA book, Chilled to the Bones. I wrote it about the heroines of the American Revolutionary War…how many of you knew that it was Agent 355 who took down Benedict Arnold? To this day, we don’t know her name, we do know that she was a member of George Washingtons Culper Spy Ring, and we know she died in the British ship, New Jersey after giving birth. That’s it, nothing more. To me, knowing about these unsung heroines can make a difference in a kid’s life. It can inspire them to reach for the stars.

I decided, after listening to CNN, speak about ‘what can bring our country together again’? I had been thinking about this for quite some time. So I stopped writing about Heroines and began writing about the history of state desserts. I mean, what can bring people closer together than food, particularly a great dessert? How many people knew that each state has its own dessert? I didn’t and when I discovered that I researched the history behind each dessert and how it came to be so important to that state. I call the blog, 'Bringing the US Together One State Dessert at a Time! I’ve also written the recipe out for each dessert. All last year, every week I baked or cooked up a dessert from each of the 50 states. The people at the barn, the people at the football parties, and family gatherings loved each and every one. So in a small way, no matter the politics my desserts brought people together, and for just a while shared in the joy of food, the history behind it, and forgot their differences in politics. 

That's what writing can do, it can make a differnce.

You can read my blog at www.lindaleekane.com

7 comments:

Jackie Houchin said...

An excellent post Linda. I enjoyed the bit about heroines in history. Who knew there were even girl spies in Washington's time?? And I am going right now to check out your desserts of the states on your blog. Thanks for posting this!

L Lee Kane said...

please enjoy, the desserts are incredible.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Wait. Do I get a dysfunctional dessert ..???
Not fair.

L Lee Kane said...

only if you make it incorrectly :)

Morgan Mandel said...

Food does have a way of bringing people together!

L Lee Kane said...

Doesn't it!

Unknown said...

Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is waiting -

And earning money online using it is as easy as 1 . 2 . 3!

This is how it works...

STEP 1. Input into the system which affiliate products you intend to promote
STEP 2. Add PUSH button traffic (it ONLY takes 2 minutes)
STEP 3. Watch the system grow your list and sell your affiliate products on it's own!

Do you want to start making profits??

Check it out here