Thursday, October 15, 2009

Seasonal Reading by Christine Duncan

Other than taking a trip down Target's seasonal aisle and pushing all the "try me" buttons on their plastic skeletons that scream or their cackling witches, (and then going over one more aisle and checking out the Christmas decorations) there is nothing I like better than to read a good book about Halloween--or Christmas--or Fourth of July for that matter.

I've liked to read seasonal mysteries ever since I was a kid. As a matter of fact, I like it so much, I set my latest mystery, Safe House, at Thanksgiving time. But while it may be easy finding Halloween books to read to your little ones this time of year, it can be more difficult finding an adult mystery novel set then. I rely on sites like Myshelf with their special holiday lists or review sites like the GenreReview to find the books I need to get me in the mood for the seasons.


So if you're having trouble getting in the Halloween spirit right now, I can recommend Lesley Meier's Trick or Treat Murders. It's a cozy and Lucy Stone and her family feel like friendly neighbors that I like to visit, every time I read one of the series. Or maybe try an oldie but goodie, Barbara Michael's Prince of Darkness. I'll be scanning the lists myself for something new. So by all means, if you have a favorite seasonal mystery, tell me about it. I need something to get me in the mood--besides all this chocolate I'm buying for the Trick or Treaters.

Oh, and just a reminder, October is Domestic Violence awareness month. Pass the word--and if you have a bit to spare, send some money to your local shelter.

1 comment:

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Interesting post. I don't usually seek out a mystery for being seasonal though I suspect my Dispel the Mist about the Hairy Man might work for Halloween.

Marilyn