Thursday, March 4, 2010

Inspired Not to Expire

I don't know about you, but I think we writers as a group sometimes get a little defensive about what we do. We may talk about how the markets are drying up, or the Muse not being with us, or about how the cards are stacked against a new writer because he is new and no one has heard of him or against a midlist writer because the publishers are not putting the big money into that writer's promotion. So often we look at how things are done and think, "How am I supposed to succeed as a writer when there are so many tens of thousands of other writers competing for the same few slots at publishing houses, or for shelf space at the Barnes & Noble?"

Like most writers, I am discouraged sometimes about writing, and feel as though I'm Sisyphus, pushing that big doggone rock up the eternal hill. For me, the discouragement often is caused by a lack of time, or maybe a lack of what we like to call inspiration but in reality is simply the ability to stick with it until a new way of saying something comes out of my head. And I get frustrated by the way the system works... or doesn't work... even though I am part of the system!

But I'd like to introduce you to someone who makes me ashamed of my excuses, who makes me realize that, no matter what annoyance or frustration I may be dealing with about my abilities as a writer, I can get over the hump. I'm not going to say a lot more about it. I don't need to. The video will say it much better than I ever could.

And if you ever think you can't, you're too tired to write, you don't feel like it, or you just aren't inspired to write at the moment.... Well, just watch this.


5 comments:

Chester Campbell said...

Quite a story, Tony. It does make you think it's time to live up to your potential. If you have the desire, you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Pretty humbling.

Helen Ginger said...

That is amazing. I'm totally awed.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Morgan Mandel said...

That's a very inspiring video, Tony. Thanks for sharing.

It does make me grateful for what I have.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Earl Staggs said...

Geez, Tony, you really know how to put a lump in a guy's throat. We need a reminder like this every once in a while. Thanks, pardner.