Saturday, March 6, 2010

Successful Bookstore Signing

Bookstores are not my favorite place to do signings, nor are join author signings. However, this weekend I was part of a successful event at a bookstore with 5 other authors. Why did it succeed?

First, there was great publicity, both in the local newspaper and by the bookstore itself--and the authors spread the word.

It was an event rather than just a signing.

This particular bookstore has a gorgeous garden in the back and a chapel that is used for weddings. The weather was perfect so the books were on display in the garden and the authors each gave 10 minute talks in the chapel. Food and drink were plentiful.

In between each talk, people were encouraged to visit the author's display table and have the books signed they wanted to buy, and eat and drink, and they did it all. Most people stayed until the very end then carried the books they'd chosen up into the store to pay for them.

Each author approached their time in a different manner. Some read a section of their books, others just talked about their books. I learned long ago if I made people laugh, I'll sell books.

I sold 16 books in the two hour period this was going on.

The trip was well-worth the drive over and back. Plus we had two great seafood dinners while there, one with a good friend and hubby we don't see often enough, and our hotel was inexpensive and lovely. The wildflowers on the way over and back were gorgeous!

Marilyn
http://ficitonforyou.com

2 comments:

Jill said...

My first novel came out just before Christmas, so this is all still failry new to me. But I wholeheartedly agree that multi-author events work. You can draw on each other's crowds, you get a lot more word of mouth out there and more publicity.

I plan to do more multi-author events.

And congrats on your gig & selling 16 books!!! That's great!!!

Jill

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

This wasn't supposed to appear today, sure hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

Marilyn