Monday, September 17, 2012

The Writing Life – Some Things I’ve Learned Along the Way




1. Writing is a process. So is marketing. I continue to learn how to hone my craft, and try to keep up with new ways of reaching readers.

2. The internet is a writer’s best friend. We can communicate with readers and our fellow writers without leaving home or spending postage. But beware of overselling yourself. No one wants “buy my book, buy my book” shoved constantly in one's face.

3. Writing is still a lonely pursuit. The words must be gotten down—typed or written, the plot must be worked out. But help is only an email away because your fellow writers are friendly and willing to help. Join writing organizations and Facebook writing groups. I’ve met some of my best friends this way.

4. Being an author takes you all sorts of places--like bookstores and conferences, classrooms and libraries--and has you doing things you've never done before. Like giving a half-hour TV interview, fielding questions while monitoring a panel, starting a chapter of Sisters in Crime, guest blogging when a new book comes out. We're offered many opportunities to grow as writers and people. The trick is to be open to them, and more opportunities will come your way.


4 comments:

Patricia Gligor's Writers Forum said...

Marilyn,
When you think about it, it's ironic that, while writing is such a solitary pursuit, marketing your writing is the exact opposite - you find yourself socializing constantly both online and off.

Palmaltas said...

Great post, Marilyn! I love the comment that the internet is a writer's best friend. I don't know where I would be without it.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Patricia,
You're so right about marketing being a social activity. It's so much more fun when done with other people--like a group blog.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Pat,
I think we've grown very dependent on the internet. And it's brought us many friendships--like yours and mine.