Thursday, December 7, 2017

Yikes, It's December!


Though I've always loved Christmas, I don't do near what I used to do in preparation.

For one thing, Christmas gift giving had to be cut way back for two big reasons:

1. Our family got too big (though I love every one of them.)
2. Our income was cut drastically when the VA decided hubby was no longer 100% disabled, and the 40% disability they agreed upon they are now deducting from his retirement, so in reality, he's not getting any disability.

And no, as a writer, I don't make enough money to supplement. We're doing okay, but because we wisely saved, but spending it on gifts wouldn't be smart.

Enough of that. No tree either, but I did decorate with the help of my great-granddaughters, 3 and 5. That was fun.

I attended the San Joaquin Sisters in Crime chapter's Christmas party, and that was enjoyable and I got to see friends I hadn't seen for awhile. I also volunteered to do a program in May--I have a great topic.

Oh, and I brought a book to show and sold it.

I have yet to address Christmas cards--except one, because I received one. I know many authors send cards to their fans, but I've never done that.

We plan to host Christmas Eve dinner like we usually do--I've ordered the honey baked ham. Only a small portion of our family lives close enough to attend, but they will fill our house.

Another thing I didn't do is participate in any holiday events. My favorite one didn't happen, and the others were outside and I don't put up a tent and haul a table around anymore. There is always next year.

So how am I going to turn this around to focus on mystery? I am still working on my Rocky Bluff P.D. mystery, though it's going well, I haven't had much writing time.

In the meantime, I did a giveaway of one of my Deputy Tempe Crabtree mysteries, Seldom Traveled. It's one of my favorites for several reasons.

Marilyn



5 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

We do a Christmas grab bag on my side of the family. On his side, I usually end up buying gift cards. They're easier to carry, for one thing.

We do have some birthdays to take care of in December as well. Gift cards and checks work for those, too.

I still buy some kind of treats for all the dogs, though. lol

Lorna Collins - said...

We've cut back some, too. The adults are giving to charity in each other's names. We still give to the little ones, however. Larry put up the tree, and the little kids from around the corner put on lots of ornaments. I added some, too, but not all of them. We are putting out fewer and fewer of the decorations each year. Larry gave up on the outside lights. he now uses a couple of those projectors, and he's much happier!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I did do my Christmas cards finally. Beginning to feel more Christmas spirit.

authorlindathorne said...

I got part of my Christmas cards off Saturday and the others are going out Monday. We told the kids we aren't exchanging gifts with them any more - only the grandkids. I'm working again and we can afford it, but it's time to stop all this. If I retire in the next 2 years, then we won't be able to afford to buy for each kid and we want to continue being able to buy for the grandkids. Enjoyed your post, Marilyn, as always. Have a very Merry Christmas.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Merry Christmas to all of you, and to all of you, a blessed New Year!