Monday, February 3, 2014

Going Modern



I finally did it--joined the twenty-first electronic century! I bought a smart phone. Of course I owned a cell phone for years, though the truth is I barely knew how to use it. I kept it on hand for safety reasons—while out driving, or if I had to contact someone while I was away from the house. I found it most useful when the electricity went out as it did during Super Storm Sandy. But I kept hearing about all the wonderful things a smart phone can do – take great photos, be connected to the internet, text. (I knew my other phone was capable of texting, but I never bothered to do it.)

And so I bought an iphone to go along with my Mac and Mac Air. Unfortunately, it’s going to take a trip to the Apple store for me to unravel the mystery of my numerous Apple passwords. But I’m sure they’ll figure that one out. Then I’ll be connected to the internet. Meanwhile, I’m learning the ins and outs of what my phone can do, aside from taking on the role of a simple telephone. The feature I love best, so far, is speaking into the phone to ask Siri a question. She doesn’t always give me the correct answer, but the fact that she responds makes me think of the movie “Her.” After all, if my smart phone speaks to me, can operating systems for everyone be far behind?

Today I received a notice of a class in three-dimentional printers. Just think of that! Forming 3 D creations. My novels turned into plays before my eyes! Afraid I’ll have to wait at least forty years for that.

16 comments:

Terrie Farley Moran said...

"No. No. No" That's the sound of me being dragged into the 21st Century. I still have an old flip phone but I know this is the year I have to move on up.

Sandy Cody said...

I'm stuck even further in the dark ages. My husband and I share a cell phone that our kids say we can give to Smithsonian when/if we finally decide to go modern.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I admire you! I'm still in the Dark Ages as well. I realize though that I need to move on as well.

Morgan Mandel said...

I love my smartphones! I've had iphones, and lately switched to a Samsung Galaxy S4, because I wanted a larger screen.

They're such fun and ever so handy!

Morgan Mandel

Marilyn Levinson said...

Terrie, Sandy, and Jacqueline,
I understand you all very well. I've just been struggling with my new phone, simply trying to delete contacts.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Morgan,
I'm sure I'll love my phone--eventually. I can understand your wanting a larger screen. I find that I'm squinting all the time at some icons, though I've increased the font size for my emails.

Evelyn Cullet said...

Technology is evolving faster than I can keep up with it. My daughter has a smartphone, but I don't, yet. However, I do have a smart TV, which I'm still learning to use.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Evelyn,
What can your smart TV do?

Sandra de Helen said...

Welcome to the no-longer-exclusive club! You're gonna love that phone. Get a protective cover for it asap. Dropping it can wreak havoc. Which is why I have a new iPhone 5C. I dropped the 4S one too many times! lol

Marja said...

My husband offered to get me a Smart Phone. I refused because I'm on the computer so much I didn't want to be tempted on the phone, too. :) I give you a lot of credit, Marilyn.
Marja McGraw

Dru said...

I love my iphone - I love using Siri for when I'm texting or taking notes.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Sandra,
I got a cover that I thought was expensive. It's supposed to give it good protection, which I'm sure I'll need.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Marja,
One of my sons and my daughter-in-law said I didn't need a smart phone. But now I'm texting for the first time. You can even speak your text into the phone! I think you'd love one.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Marja,
One of my sons and my daughter-in-law said I didn't need a smart phone. But now I'm texting for the first time. You can even speak your text into the phone! I think you'd love one.

Marilyn Levinson said...

Dru,
I've yet to learn how to take notes using Siri. There's so much to learn! But learning's good for all of us.

Patricia Smith Wood said...

Congratulations, Marilyn! The iPhone is an amazing invention. I'm an electronic junky, so I've been on the band wagon for a long time. I'm also happy to encounter another writer who uses Mac! I love mine, but lately have been having difficulties using Microsoft Word for Mac. I'm ready to pull out my hair if I don't get some issues resolved!! Leave it to Microsoft!