Tuesday, April 8, 2014

April Showers

As I write this, I'm listening to the cars splashing through the rain running down the sides of our streets. Alby River, my husband calls it. I'm drawn to stories that depict weather. Maybe not as another character, like Twister or The Day After Tomorrow, but as a part of the feel of the story.

Torrential rain isn't just for the tropics. The rain here in the Midwest sometimes comes down so hard, it's impossible to see the roads. Driving on days like that, I just stay in what I believe to be the middle of the road. And hope the storm passes soon. I always scoffed at the history stories about the mud the wagon trains had to deal with after a rain storm. I was wrong.

Life's a little like those torrential rain storms. In your face destructive. Then, once it's calmed down, the apologies come. I didn't realize you were scared, or on deadline, or really trying to put your own spin on things.

And yet, sometimes, a gentle rain is a blessing. Farmers bless the powers that be for giving the crops a much needed soaking. The rain clears out the pollen and pollutants, giving us sweet, clean air to breath. A little rain in your life can make you focus on the things that are really important, or see things clearer.

"It was a dark and stormy night" sets the reader up for a certain type of story, just like the bright sunny day, gives the impression of a different type. But what if you switch the mood?

In Shawnee Holiday, A Bull Rider Novella, the storm that hits town early causes all kinds of havoc. But it's where we find ourselves after the storm that makes the difference to us, and our characters.

Cash Dillon, former pro-football player and owner of The Pancake House, is hours away from paradise. A week on a Mexican beach–no responsibility, no worries, and no schedule. When his delivery driver is stuck on another run, Cash takes one last delivery up the mountain.


June Palmer is home visiting her grandmother, but when her high school crush delivers their meal, it feels more like a Shawnee reunion. When Cash crashes his truck minutes after leaving her cabin, she has to figure out a way to get him down the mountain and to safety without revealing her hidden feelings.

Exclusively available at Amazon

4 comments:

Barry Knister said...

I start my mystery/thriller The Anything Goes Girl with rain working its way down an archipelago in the Pacific. If I've succeeded, when the storm reaches the island of Pirim, it's not just atmospheric window-dressing, but integral to the action that follows.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I love rain--we need it so badly here in California. I enjoyed the post.

debi o'neille said...

Great post. My husband and I live in the Midwest, too, and we were caught in one of those heavy-duty rainstorms the other night. Drove in it for about an hour, and I was praying the whole time. Had my whole funeral planned out in my mind, just in case. :-)
Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

Lynn Cahoon said...

Barry, I love it when a theme runs through the book. Good luck with making it happen. :)

Marilyn, I wish I could send you some of ours.

Debi - the first time I drove through a tornado we were in Nebraska. Listing to the weather station and looking on the map as we drove. We found a turn off and got into a gas station/store before the worse of it hit. I was saying my prayers that day.