Tuesday, November 20, 2018

On Getting Older

I supposed most people would just say I'm already there--old, I mean.

And yes, I do have the symptoms, hair turning white, lots of wrinkles, slow walker, takes some effort to get up out of chairs, and not being able to do all that I once could.

That last is probably the most frustrating.

I've always been used to making a list of what I planned to accomplish in a day, but not so much anymore. Oh, I still make the lists, but I don't always get everything done that I planned.

Of course I always have a lot to do--and the have-tos, I do finish, but they are also the jobs I'm least interested in doing--laundry, cooking, etc.

What I really want to get with is the writing on my next book, and more promoting of the latest.

Unfortunately, there is only so much time.

And now we've moved into the holidays. I no longer buy all the gifts that I once did, can't afford it and my family just grew to large. For those who come to our house on Christmas Eve, we drew names--so I only have two to buy for, and my kids (I give money) as I'm not longer good at figuring out what they might like.

That might sound like I don't really care for Christmas anymore, but that's not true. I love the true meaning of Christmas. We;ll celebrate on Christmas Eve with some of our family.

We share out home with 3 little girls, so we'll be in on the Christmas morning surprises.

And some time soon, I'll put up a few Christmas decorations.

What about you? Do you still do all the holiday things you used to do?

Marilyn, who still manages to accomplish a lot.



My latest, Tangled Webs.



4 comments:

Susan said...

Our family is so small now, and the only child around is a granddaughter who is 17 going on 40. Our celebrations - Thanksgiving, Christmas - center on a shared meal. Christmas gifts are tokens at best - usually a modest gift card from Home Depot or a favorite restaurant. Until lately we splurged on things for the granddaughter, but now we have no idea what she likes so we give her a check. I used to decorate for the holidays - and loved it - but now there are so many things that must be done and I'm not physically strong enough to do all I want, so the things that must be done have to come first. Still, Nov/Dec is a glorious time of year and I love it! Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to all!

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Thanks for your comment, Susan. Decorated yesterday and what chore. Ended up having to clean the closet the decorations were in, way too much work.
I posted this on the wrong day--always messing up. I'll blame that on o

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

old age too.

Morgan Mandel said...

We used to put up a large tree, but stopped doing that with our last dog, Rascal. Now that we have a smaller dog, Buster, we have no room for a large tree anymore, and use a fiber optic tree on one end table and a ceramic tree on another end table.