Sunday, August 4, 2019


Make Mine Mystery
 



August 5, 2019
 Linda Lee Kane

Usually I try to give some insight to writing and what I’ve learned but this time I am trying to figure out why I keep losing my writing on my computer. Computers have always been my enemy, as well as sewing machines. I quit sewing which I’m sure helps the economy but when I lose the words I so carefully work on, a sentence, and a paragraph I want to cry.

Back in January my new book, Death Is An Illusion was completed. I just had to send it to my editor. I waiting for a week to make sure every T was crossed and every I doted. Just before I sent it off, I looked at the page count, it was way off. It went from 603 pages to 400 or there-about. I had one hundred and thirteen chapters and it went down to fifty-eight. I was devasted but I got over it and began again.

Last month I finished the story again and sent it off to my editor. I received it back two weeks ago and worked on tightening it up, I made sure everything was lined up perfectly in regard to the story-line. I decided not to send it to the publisher that evening but wait until the next day. I saved it, I accept all changes and all of my 571 changes disappeared. I still don’t have a clue to what I did wrong. Someone said it’s there, somewhere, but where?
I’m back at it again, maybe it will be even better, but at this point I’m completely confused.


4 comments:

Jackie Houchin said...

Maybe, just maybe, you are not supposed to publish it. Just saying.

But I sure admire your stick-to-it attitude. I lost the last 1/3 of a story I was writing and it froze me so much, I never did write it again.

Good luck!

authorlindathorne said...

I bet you were seriously frustrated over this bought times. When I lose things on my computer, I'll ask one of my grown kids when they're visiting. They can find anything. Also after a day working on a book, I always email it to myself. I then keep those emails in a special folder on my online e-mail account. If it's online, you can't lose it. Not ever. Even if your computer crashes and you have no backup, you can go to the last place you sent your book online and start again from there. If you're computer is hacked, you still will not lose your book if you emailed it to yourself at your online email account.

L Lee Kane said...

Great advice Linda. Thank you

Morgan Mandel said...

I'm paranoid. Whenever I work on one of my books, I save it a few places on my computer, then also send it to Drop Box, which is free. What's good about Drop Box is I can access the files there on my laptop when I'm away from home on vacation. That is, if I'm not too lazy to work on them.

I also pay for Carbonite, which saves the files on my 2 computers. Away from home I can access the files if needs be. Also, either computer crashes, I can get my files back. It saves all the files, but not the programs, but I still have the discs for the programs.