Tuesday, July 23, 2019

My Favorite Writing Conference



By the time this is posted, I will have just returned from the Public Safety Writers Association's Conference.

At one time, I went to many writing and mystery conferences during the year, sometimes with my hubby and sometimes alone. We attended Bouchercons and Left Coast Crimes all over the U.S. A favorite was Mayhem in the Midland, which is no longer. I have fond memories of Epicons from Florida, Virginia Beach VA in winter, Washington, and in Texas.

In fact, we've visited many states we'd have never seen because of conventions and cons.

Flying is no longer something I enjoy, and the price of hotel rooms has gone up so much, that I've chosen to only attend the PSWA Conference--much more for the dollar. And we are able to drive there.

I've been attending PSWA Conferences since its reorganization and served as program chair for many years. I handed the job over to the very talented and able retired police detective and fantastic writer, Michael A. Black.

Like with any convention or conference, if you attend regularly, I've made many friends who I look forward to seeing every year--and meeting new folks.

I still help with the pre-conference workshop, which is fun because I love helping writers as so many have helped me along the way.

Besides panels on various aspects of writing and promotion, there are always great presentations, sometimes about law enforcements work.

https://policewriter.com/

On my next post, I'll give you highlights of what happened at the conference.

Marilyn


3 comments:

authorlindathorne said...

You've mentioned this conference for many years off and on. I'm like you, I don't go to all the conferences any more. I'm still working (way past retirement age), so I can afford to go, but I'm not comfortable leaving my husband alone for too long (not mobile), so I only go to one I'm thankful is nearby, Killer Nashville. It's again this August. Hope you'll send pictures and stories about your visit at this conference.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Linda, I miss seeing you! The conference was wonderful. I didn't take many pictures, will get some though. I loved Killer Nashville the only time I was able to go.

Morgan Mandel said...

Your dedication to your craft is amazing! You put me to shame!