Friday, September 20, 2019

Fun Time at Killer Nashville's 2019 International Writers' Conference

by Linda Thorne

What a fun time I had last month at Killer Nashville's Writers' Conference. This year the guests were Alexandra Ivy, David Morrell, and Joyce Carol Oates. 


The first authors' panel I participated in covered one of my favorite subjects: How To Master Setting held Friday 8-24. 


From left to right: Debra Gaskill, Randy Overbeck, me, John Carenen, Baron Birtcher, and lead panelist, Jim Nesbitt.


Baron Birtcher (above with long hair) won three Silver Falchion awards this year for Book of the Year, Best Action Adventure, and Best Attending Author. John Carenen, who sat beside me, tied with Joseph Simurdiak for the KN Claymore Award.

Saturday, I had two author panels. Curl of by the Fire: Writing the Cozy: 
From left to right: Debra Goldstein, me, J.C. Kenney, lead panelist Maggie Toussaint, Phyllis Gobbell, and Alexia Gordan. 

Two of these panelist won Silver Falchion Awards. Phyllis Gobbell won for Best Cozy (subject of our panel), and Maggie Toussaint for Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror.

Saralyn Richard, who shares the same publisher I have, Black Opal Books, won the Killer Nashville Reader's Choice Award.   

I was the lead for my final author panel Saturday on a favorite topic, Writing Without an Outline. Below are the other panel members.

Amy Rivers & Rich Zahradnik                                                                                            R.G. (Dick) Belsky
                           
PD Halt                                                                                                                   Kerry Peresta













Great conference. Lots to do and learn, and a great deal of fun year after year.



lindathorne.com

Amazon Author's Page









12 comments:

Saralyn said...

Linda, thanks for the mention. One of the big highlights of Killer Nashville for me was being able to spend some quality time with you! You really know your way around Killer Nashville, and you were an invaluable resource to me throughout. Congratulations on your panels. You really know you've accomplished a lot as an author when you can serve as an authority and example for others, and you do that so well! Best wishes to you, my friend. You are awesome!

authorlindathorne said...

Saralyn, thank you. I enjoyed meeting you too, and it was lots of fun. Hey, if you ever want to be a guest again on Make Mine Mystery, just let me know and I'll put your post on my scheduled time - the third Friday of every month.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi Linda,

Sounds like a great conference! You should do a blog on writing without an outline. It's an important topic.

authorlindathorne said...

Jacqueline, thanks for that idea. I'm always looking for topics to post on Make Mine Mystery and here I had one sitting right out in front of me and didn't consider it until your mention. I think I'll use that for my October post. You can't run out of things to say on that topic.

Morgan Mandel said...

I miss going to conferences. They're great for inspiration and information. When I retired, I cut back on them.

authorlindathorne said...

That's one reason I keep working. I've had to cut back on conferences too even though I can afford to go to more and would like to. My husband has some mobility issues and I don't like to be out of state over a weekend. The price of Killer Nashville used to be dirt-cheap especially for senior citizens. The past three years they got wise and caught up with charging in the range of other conferences. It's local for me, so I'll probably not stop going even if I retire.

Amy M. Reade said...

I wish I lived closer so I could attend the conference. I enjoy hearing about it from you each time you go. It sounds like it was a great experience.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I only went to that one once, but it is a great conference. I'm not going to many either because I'm no longer flying.

Maggie Toussaint said...

Thanks for the mention, Linda. So great to have you on the cozy panel!

authorlindathorne said...

You did a good job on that panel, Maggie. It was a fun time.

Unknown said...

satta king
play bazaar

play bazaar
play bazaar good sites online

Online Teer said...

Thanks for the amazing post.
Satta King
Satta King