Tuesday, February 16, 2021

HOW MUCH ARE MY CHARACTERS LIKE ME?

Deadly Trail is the first in the Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series.
 

On Facebook I asked what questions would people like me to answer about my books, writing, etc.

How much are my characters like me, was one, and I decided to answer it here.

The simple answer is hardly at all. I write about people much younger than I am--but I once was the same age as all of them. And, I have a good memory of what it was like all along the way.

In  my Deputy Tempe Crabtree mysteries, Tempe is a strong woman, and I consider myself to be strong--but that's where the resemblance ends. After all, she is a native American and I don't have one speck of Indian in me. I've never been in any type of law enforcement, but have many relatives and friends who have been.

The same goes for my Rocky Bluff P.D. series, none of the women are variants of me.

However, whenever a character is in a certain situation, I see what's going on through the eyes of the person I'm writing about, see what she or he is seeing and experiencing, and I know how they are feeling based on my own past experiences--or just knowing how I would feel under the same circumstances.

I know my characters well enough to know how they will respond in various situations. Each one is unique and has their own past and personality. All of that has to be taken into consideration when I'm writing about them.

And now, other writers, what about you? Tell us how much your characters are like you.


Marilyn


2 comments:

authorlindathorne said...

I think my answer is a little more like me than your characters are like you. I have a tendency in my novel (and work-in-process novel) to have my lead have the same response I think I would've had if under the same circumstances. The problem is, most of the situations are none I ever experienced, so I'm not sure what I would do if they really happened to me instead of my lead characters. I guessed in some cases on what I thought would be the best reaction. My lead characters usually look like what I looked like at whatever age I gave them. I just found this easier to work with. It may be a little (or lot) narcissistic, but it sure makes writing the character simpler.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

Ah, that's interesting, Linda. A much different approach than mine. So glad we're all different, wouldn't it be boring if we were the same?