Tuesday, March 8, 2022

ENDING A SERIES

 I am close to finishing an as yet untitled Rocky Buff P.D. mystery series, and as I'm finishing up, I've decided it will be the last one. It's time. I will miss the town of Rocky Bluff--one of my own creation, but much like many small towns along the southern  California coast and in many ways, except how it looks, much like the Oxnard I lived in many, many years ago.

I'll also miss the characters who have been living in my head for so long--more years than they've been living on the page.

Doug Milligan started out as a regular police officer with two kids and an unhappy marriage. Over time, life has improved for the now Detective Milligan. 

I'll probably miss Officer Gordon Butler the most. I had the most fun writing all his mishaps, his troubled love relationships, and finally how life changed for him.

Introducing the new police chief, Chandra Taylor was fun too, along with her romance with the handsome mayor, one that has had trouble getting off the ground.

However, there comes a time when an author (me) knows when it's time to wrap things up and retire a series. I'd like to hear if any of you authors have had the same experience.

Not as We Knew it was the one before this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Knew-Rocky-Bluff-P-D-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B08NGLMZJC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=27UZKTPBGBX63&keywords=Not+as+We+Knew+It+by+F.+M.+Meredith&qid=1646578127&s=books&sprefix=not+as+we+knew+it+by+f.+m.+meredith%2Cstripbooks%2C971&sr=1-1

Marilyn, who writes the RBPD mystery series as F.M. Meredith


2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

Since so far I only have 2 series of 2 books each going, I have the opposite problem of deciding whether or not to advance one or both of the series.

Marilyn Meredith a.k.a. F. M. Meredith said...

I have an idea for a young adult, but I will do another Tempe mystery first--I think. Still haven't finished this latest RBPD.